Having trouble setting up approvals in Jira Service Management

Colleen February 3, 2023

I am trying to set up approvals for a service desk project so that a group of specific users and no one else can execute a workflow transition. Two or more of these users must approve to transition an issue.

I tried creating a custom field (experimenting with both multiuser picker and group pickers), but I can't add any users or groups to the fields. In another community post, I saw that there are options I for adding users that are not available to me. There is no "Edit User Filtering". What am I doing wrong?:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management-articles/How-to-add-a-specific-list-of-approvers/ba-p/869692#:~:text=1%20-%20Create%20a%20group%20in%20user%20management,created%2C%20click%20on%20%3E%20Contexts%20and%20default%20value. 

WHAT I CAN SEE IN MY JIRA...

Custom Field Change Approvers.png

WHAT THE COMMUNITY POST SAYS I SHOULD SEE...

Don't See These Options.png

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Colleen February 21, 2023

Just putting a response here in case anyone is having this issue. I reached out to Atlassian Support because I was encountering issues trying to set multiple users for approvals. I couldn't specify where to get the users from using a multi-user picker (there were no options to pull from project roles or groups). Instead, I had to use a single user picker and have the field context set as global. When I tried to set a default value for the user picker field, other totally unrelated projects had issues with their user picker fields, and people couldn't create tickets, but interestingly this only happened when my new field was pulling users from a project role instead of a group. As Atlassian Support explained, this is because project roles are project-specific while groups are global. Anyways, this is a bug Atlassian is working to solve. In the meantime, my solution was to set up separate, sequential approval steps (one for each group of users) and have the user picker fields search for users via groups. 

0 votes
Parsa Shiva January 16, 2024

Hi @John Funk 

Checkout the "Approval Paths for Jira" app from the Atlassian Marketplace.

This app allows you to create approval processes for any Jira project.
You can define approvers, sequence the steps, and customize conditions.

You can define approvers even if they are JSM customers.

Best,
Parsa

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2023

Hi Colleen,

You should use the Approvers field that should already exist. If not, create one called Approvers, but do not duplicate that field if it already exists. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events