Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forms: How can I add Attachment field?

Andrey Rudnev February 7, 2022

Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to add an Attachment field in the new Forms feature for a JSM project. And if there is such a thing, how can it be done? I tried to look at the settings, linking, read the documentation, but did not find the answer to my question.

P.S. The variant with adding the Attachment field to the Request form in the Request type is not suitable.

4 answers

3 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2022

Hi @Andrey Rudnev , attachments is not yet available in Forms. but understand it is being considered/worked.

@Jack Brickey Thanks for the answer. If I understand correctly, will this field be added to "Forms" in the future?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2022

Please see Simon's response here - Attachment-category-for-Forms 

Like Andrey Rudnev likes this

@Jack Brickey Thanks, it's clearer now. And I learned about the fact that you can add an Attachment field above the Form from my own experience.

Like # people like this
Nontobeko.gumbi March 3, 2022

Hello @Andrey Rudnev 

Did you understand this process "You can add an Attachment field above the Form". Could you please take me through it step by step on the new form feature ?

Thanks 

Nontobeko 

Andrey Rudnev March 3, 2022

Hi, @Nontobeko.gumbi

"You can add an Attachment field above the Form" i use it like a workaround for my goals what i need. I did it this way: first I created the request type I needed (Project settings -> Request types and create your request type), then I went to Forms (Project settings -> Forms) and created the form I needed there. In the settings tab, in the form, in the first item called "Request form" you must select the request type that we created at the very beginning. Thus, we connected our form to our request type and now the customer will see the fields that we created in our form on the portal. Next, we go to our request type, the request form tab, and scroll down the page. At the very bottom there is a section with the name of the Form and we can see the name of our form there, if it is there, then we did everything right. Now here we go a little higher to the Visible fields section and simply add the Attachment fields and, in principle, that's it. The only nuance of this decision is that on the portal in the request type, those fields that we add directly in the request type settings will immediately be shown in priority, and only then the fields that were created in the Form will be displayed, based on this, on the portal, in your request type, the first field will be the Attachment field, and only then all the other fields from your form. This is not a problem, it is rather an inconvenience, because the Attachment field is usually done at the bottom, even based on common sense)

Like # people like this
Nontobeko.gumbi March 3, 2022

Hello @Andrey Rudnev 

Thank you so much for the swift response :-). This is very helpful. I have followed all the steps you have advised. I would like to know if i could be able to see the changes on preview of the new form to know exactly what the customer is seeing ? At the moment its currently not visible at the top as i thought it would be. currently it look's like this 

New form.PNGAgain, thanks for taking the time to thoroughly explain this to me 

Andrey Rudnev March 3, 2022

@Nontobeko.gumbi Your are welcome) 

There is one problem with your request: you can see how your form will be displayed on the portal in the Preview tab in FORMS, but only WITHOUT those fields that you configure directly in Request types -> Your request type -> Request form -> Visible fields. I propose the following solution for your request: "Your Project" -> Channels -> Open Help Center and right there you select your request type and you can see it as the customer sees it.

Nontobeko.gumbi March 24, 2022

Hello @Andrey Rudnev 

Sorry for the delayed response. I have used all your suggestions and they have been very helpful. Thank you !

Like Dean likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Simon H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2022

Hi everyone, we have started work on developing attachment fields. If you would like a preview of what we are likely to build head over here

Simon Teppett February 24, 2023

Hi Simon - it's 9 months later - just wondered if you had made any progress with this ?  Thanks

Like # people like this
Thomas LOESCH April 4, 2023

Hi @Simon Herd, it's almost been a year now, do you have any update on a release date for this feature by any chance?

Like # people like this
Ayushi Saxena April 11, 2023

+1 for update or ETA on this

Like # people like this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2022

@Andrey Rudnev -

You just need to add "Attachment" field by -

1) In your JSM project, access "Project settings" (assuming that you already have project admin right).

2) Access "Request Types" option and select the specific request form in your request types listing - Clicking on the form name.

3) Click on the "Request form" tab and click on "Add a field" to add "Attachment" field to your request form.

2022-02-07_8-17-55.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

@Joseph Chung Yin Thanks for your answer but I told about new feature which is name "Forms". I created new form with many other field but i can't add Attachment field. Sorry, if my question confused you.

Julian Reichle April 26, 2022

Hi  @Andrey Rudnev ,

I have the same problem. I am not able to find it here.

Snag_495341a6.png

Like # people like this
Suzanne Bivins November 29, 2022

Hello - do we know when this feature will be released.

Please and thank you

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2022

Hi @Suzanne Bivins ,

I was just inquiring about this today. I have not seen a release date as of yet.

thank you. Do you know if Forms has a built in workflow functionality like request types?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2022

I don't know what you mean precisely. There are no workflow capabilities in forms and unclear what that would look like. There is the ability to add conditional sections but unsure what your needs are here.

Like Joseph Chung Yin likes this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2022

@Suzanne Bivins -

I agreed with what @Jack Brickey stated in regarding to WF ability in Forms.  Keep in mind Forms is just an vehicle to capture inputs from users.  You should look into the "conditional" functionality to make your forms to behave in a more dynamic fashion.

In regards to the "Attachment" field for now, you can embed your Form and manually add the Attachment field into your Request Type configuration.

Best, Joseph

Thank you both for your replies.

I was trying to use forms to take in request from users, but we also want to see it's go through a workflow, where the "form" is "Open", "In Progress", "Assigned", "Closed" ... etc. 

Looks like using "Issue types" instead of forms might be the only way to take advantage of the Workflow features.

thank you

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 29, 2022

Hi @Suzanne Bivins , I think you may be misunderstanding some things in JSM. Let me see if I can help.

• workflows are actually associated with Issue types not Request types.
  • request types are associated with issue types so they inherit the workflow from the issue type they are associated to
  • forms are basically a collection of fields organized in a manner that helps collect the required data when an issue is created.
  • Forms are stateless (no statuses) but the issues themselves do have statuses that are defined by the workflow. 
Like Joseph Chung Yin likes this
Suzanne Bivins November 30, 2022

Wow this is very helpful. I get it.

Thanks so much for this.   

Like Jack Brickey likes this
0 votes
Olha Yevdokymova_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 17, 2023

Hello @Andrey Rudnev !
If this functionality is still interesting for you - our team at SaaSJet has developed an add-on Smart Jira Forms, which allows you to add Customized Forms to your JSM form. One of the available form fields is Attachments, which provides the form assignee with the ability to upload multiple files.

Screenshot 2023-04-17 202926.png
Hope this will help you!

Dean May 3, 2023

This is super helpful, thank you!

By chance did your team also create the ability to add an image in a form, just curious?

Best,

Dean

Olha Yevdokymova_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 7, 2023

Hello @Dean !

Thanks for your interest.

You can add image to form via embed form element.

To ensure that the image is accessible to the Smart Jira Forms and won't disappear if someone changes permissions, it's recommended to use an image from a website or another open resource.

This way, the image will remain available and accessible even if the original source is modified.

Hope this will help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events