Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter JQL doesn't work as expected

Evert Morren October 6, 2021

I am trying to find tickets with in the description the text ZOA-Manager or ZOA-manager or zoa manager. I made a JQL filter description ~"ZOA-Manager". The filter match on all tickets with the words ZOA and Manager, for example it match on the description 'ZOA this is a test manager'.

I need a filter that only match the phrase ZOA-Manager, ZOA-manager, ZOA manager.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 13, 2021

JQL filtering is powerful, but you can hit its limits in more complex workflows.

You can filter in Jira on many issue fields. There's version filtering, project, system fields, and custom fields - all useful. What standard JQL is missing are functions for analysing the issue relations, and - you guessed it - text patterns.

So, if you're serious about JQL, look beyond standard Jira.

The big mistake Jira users make is they forget about exploring the app marketplace. Our app, JQL Search Extensions, is a good example of a solution to JQL limitations.

For example, in your filter, you can use the exactTextMatch JQL extension:

issue in exactTextMatch("ZOA-Manager")

Alternatively, you may work around any JQL reporting limitations with an Excel export. This doesn't work well if you want to create a filter for the board though.

Evert Morren October 14, 2021

Hi Daniel, It works thank you for answering.

Regards.

Evert Morren October 21, 2021

Hi Daniel, is it also possible to use the JQL extension in a automation rule, there I have the same problem?

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 21, 2021

Hi @Evert Morren 

Yes, it's possible in most cases. You need to save the query as a Jira filter and use the filter in the automatino rule.

Feel free to contact our support and we can help.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2021

Hi @Evert Morren 

Please try the below JQL and let me know the result

text ~ "\"ZOA-Manager\"" OR text ~ "\"ZOA manager\""

Reference - Here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver/search-syntax-for-text-fields-939937723.html

Thanks,
Pramodh

Evert Morren October 6, 2021

H Pramodh, I have made the JQL, but it match also on:

ZOA

This is a test, please do this or that .

Your Manager

It seems the JQL search for the words ZOA or Manager and not for the phrase "ZOA-Manager"

Regards,

Evet

Evert Morren October 14, 2021

Hi Pramodh, I have found a solution with an app. Thank you for answering.

Regards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events