Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External email "Failed"

Robb Robins March 3, 2023

Hello,

I am having issues receiving emails from external customers (for example, @Gmail.com). 

I have a company email set up (format: department@companyname.com) that is a part of a google group and will forward to projectname@companyname.atlassian.net as well as a few other @companyname.com addresses. 

However, when I try to email the company email, the email log in JSM says "FAILED Signup is not currently available" I assume that this signup is related to portal signup? I do not want to make it possible for external users to signup for access to the portal.

I have seen that there is a possibility to Connect a Custom Email Account, but I believe our auth service will not allow this, and am not sure if this will solve the issue.

How can I make it so external customers can email my google services email: department@companyname.com and have it create a ticket in JSM?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2023

Hi @Robb Robins 

You would need to add them as Customers to your project. This obviously only works if you know their email address to begin with though which is unclear in your case.

Any time we have a new starter I automatically add them as a customer to our project as we have things defined in Assets for reporting purposes. However we do have external vendors that only email us once a year or so, so we've left the portal sign up open.

Your only other visibility if you block portal sign ups would be to check the import logs every now and then to see if any emails have failed due to not being a customer. The downside of this is if you then add them as a customer, Jira won't re-fetch the email from the mailbox. They'll have to resend the email for the ticket to be created.

Kind regards,

Suzi

Robb Robins March 6, 2023

Hi Suzi!

Thanks for your answer!

If I am hearing you right, if portal signups is blocked, there isn't a way for external customers to send an email that would result in a ticket being created.

Is that correct?

The issue with this is that we don't have the same external customers emailing. We have a bug bounty system set up and we would therefore be receiving emails from all different customers--it would be rare that it would be the same customer again.

Anything else you'd recommend I try?

Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2023

Hi Robb,

If portal sign up is blocked, only way they can submit a ticket is if you have added them as a customer prior to them sending an email. 

You can only do this if you know their email address though. Having the portal sign ups open or closed has both it's pros and cons unfortunately.

Like Robb Robins likes this
Robb Robins March 6, 2023

Thank you! Very helpful

Like Suzi Firth likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS