Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit a Filter

Reynalda Torres June 10, 2022

I need to add some project names to my filter and I do not see where I'm to edit the actual filter. Where is that done?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

@Reynalda Torres -

You can access the "Filters" menu dropdown and select "View all filters" option -

2022-06-10_12-29-50.png

Then in the Filters UI using the dropdown option filters to locate your specific filter and conduct the necessary JQL filter updates.

2022-06-10_12-30-19.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Joseph: Thank you but it's never that easy. Ugh!  I see the Filter and when I click on it I don't see the syntax that I wrote for it? 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

@Reynalda Torres -

Can you clarify what you mean by "don't see the syntax that you wrote for it?".  Maybe a screenshot to describe your problem?

Best, Joseph

Here what I did:

1. I created a project called - Cross Projects

2. I created a filter called - All Projects Filter - That filter is supposed to have all the six projects that I need

3. The filter is something like this - projects = (A,B,C,D,E,F)

4. I assigned that filter to the project called - Cross Projects 

5. When I look at that board, it is only showing 3 of them so I want to edit the filter but I do not see where project = (A,B,C,D,E,F) went?

JIRA1.PNG

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2022

The filter seems to have syntax error = project in (A, B, C, D, E, F) and should not be the "=" operator.

Furthermore,  You are referring to assigning that saved filter query to the board of your Cross Projects project.  It doesn't seem you assigned the save filter query properly.

Best, Joseph

Now I am getting this:

Board not accessible.PNG

This is what my Settings in General look like:

JIRA Settings.PNG

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2022

@Reynalda Torres -

What type of board are you trying to create?  Are you trying to create a Kanban/Scrum board for your JSM project?  If so, JSM project by default doesn't support those type of board out of the box.  Those type of boards are for Jira Software Application projects.

When you create those type of boards, you cannot associate them to a JSM project.  In addition, you cannot also associate a board that uses save filter query (pulling from multiple projects content) against a Team Managed Type project.

Berst, Joseph

I'm trying to create ONE Board that has all the projects listed in it, that's all. 

I have a Company-managed SW Scrum board call Cross Projects

What does JSM stand for? 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2022

@Reynalda Torres -

1) During the board creation process, it offers you with options - you will need to select the "Board from an existing Saved Filter" to use your filter.  (I am assuming you did that already).

2022-06-10_14-47-34.png

2) Then you will need to provide a location for the board in the next UI screen -

2022-06-10_15-15-17.png

I am thinking that you may used the wrong option in step 1.

JSM is Jira Service Management.  Where you have indicated your tags...

2022-06-10_15-20-31.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Nope, it doesn't....., 

Do you know of a good video that I can watch?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2022

@Reynalda Torres -

I don't have an video, but here is the link on how to create boards in Jira CLOUD env - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/create-a-board/

I would recommend you to do the following checks -

1) Under "Filters" menu option and create another JQL search pulling content from multiple projects.  Then save the filter.

2) Create a new board by using the "Board from an existing Saved Filter" option.

3) Once the board is successfully created, then validate and review.

As I don't know what exactly that you conducted during your filter creation/modification + board creation/modification.  The best way is to start over again.

Best, Joseph

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 11, 2022

@Reynalda Torres -

Looking at your question again.  Can you tell me if your saved filter query is pulling from projects where the projects are all company managed projects or a fix of both company managed and team managed projects?

Also, what is listed in your Board settings >> General section for "Projects in board" section?  It should listed all the projects called out in your filter query?  Example -

My query is pulling from two projects  Megastrom Demo and Test Team Managed Project

2022-06-11_10-22-27.png

Lastly, did you try to my recommendation of starting over again steps?  Please let me know of your findings.

Best, Joseph

Reynalda Torres June 11, 2022

All Projects are Company-managed software but I just figured out that some are projects and a couple are boards. 

My Filter Query -  looks like yours but my projects names so...

Project in ("A","B", "C", "D", "E", "F")

My Project in board - has all the projects listed 

Project in board -

A - view permission

B - view permission

C - view permission

D - view permission

F - view permission

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2022

Ok.  So is your board working now?

In addition, I don't understand your statement of "I just figured out that some are projects and a couple are boards".  You cannot have a board filter query to contain another board's name.

Best, Joseph

Reynalda Torres June 13, 2022

My apologies, I need to be more clear. I was trying to state that Projects are a collection of issues where we split requirements, tasks, and release plans within a project.

Boards are an intuitive representation of a project, which can include one or more projects, depending on the filter configuration of board, including kanban board and Scrum board modes

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2022

Not a problem.  So are you good to go and running?

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events