Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do users copied from a production system to a sandbox require a new invite?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

I've recently created a Sandbox on a premium JSM environment. 

Afterwards I did a "copy production data" action and all the information was copied over nicely.

However I'm a bit confused about the users.

They are already added to the Groups they were in but their status says:

image.png

Now the question is, do I manually need to re-invite all the users (resend invite) or if they have the url,  will they just be able to log on?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2021

Hey Dirk,

Glad to hear that the data copy went well. The data copying process does carry over your users & groups, but product access has to be granted afterwards. You'll need to reinvite the users you want separately.

We implemented data copying this way because our initial customer research showed that not every production user needed access to the sandbox. If that is the case for you, I'd love to understand why. Thanks!

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 2, 2021

Hi @Matt Tse

Thank you for confirming what I thought. 

I fully understand that you would want to limit the users that have access to the sandbox however it would be great to have an option to decide whether you grant them or don't grant them the access while doing a data copy.

Now why would I want that :)

we use the sandbox as a testing/acceptance environment and also a training environment. When a new agent onboards the system they can play arround on the sandbox and learn how the processes work without poluting the production environment. By giving everyone access immediatly any user can validate something or play with something whenever they need a refresher or just don't know something anymore.

This also bring me to an aftertought, if we copy over the new data (refresh the data of the sandbox) I guess we'll also need to re-invite the users too?

As the user management said "user has site access" and is still in the groups I added them to on the Production environment, this was confusing me and I couldn't test it with another user account :)

Like Matt Tse likes this
Matt Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2021

Hey Dirk,

Thanks for the feedback and detailed response! Out of curiosity, do you plan on having every single new agent having access to the sandbox site? (i.e., will all production users have access to the sandbox site?)

If you initiate another data copy (i.e., refreshing your sandbox), your users & groups will get replaced again, so yes you'll need to reinvite them.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2021

Hey Matt,

For my specific use case (meaning I'll use the sandbox as a training environment and playground) we are adding each new agent to the sandbox.

It helps with both onboarding a new agent if they are not familiar with the tool or the processes and also for veterans that aren't sure anymore how something works they can just try it out.

it would definitely be great to have the option when doing a sandbox refresh to choose whether you want to copy over the users and grant them access or not.

This would allow you to have users train on it/accept the changes you made but also allow you to block their access when you are in active development (after a refresh)

Like Matt Tse likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events