Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Not Flowing Between JSM Incident and Linked MS Teams Chat

ian.silver March 1, 2023

We have successfully enabled ChatOps in our JSM project, and I've successfully created and opened a chat and meeting in MS Teams.

_ITSM-3684__TEST_Ticket_-_IGNORE_-_Testing_Teams_Chat_Integration_-_Flynn_s_JIRA-2.png

However, according to the docs:

Perform incident actions on Microsoft Teams
Once a Microsoft Teams chat has been created, you can perform several incident actions through it. As soon as the channel is created, a summary of the incident will be sent to the chat so that participants can:

• update the incident priority
  • assign the incident to themselves
  • add chat messages from Teams as internal notes to the incident or as a reply to the customer. You can do this from More options of a chat message.

No summary of the incident appears in the chat, and chat messages are not being sent back to the incident ticket as internal comments.

ITSM-3684___Microsoft_Teams.png_ITSM-3684__TEST_Ticket_-_IGNORE_-_Testing_Teams_Chat_Integration_-_Flynn_s_JIRA.png

What have we missed?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
ian.silver May 8, 2023

I'm copying my reply to Connor here as the fix to my issue:

In our case the errors were occurring because the tickets for which we were trying to create a linked chat did not have a default priority set.

Once we addressed this issue, everything worked as claimed in the documentation.

Our workaround was to create an automation rule to ensure that a default priority was always set.  

We then made review of that priority part of the procedure around establishing the linked chat.

0 votes
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2023

@ian.silver did you make any progress with this? I'm testing this functionality also, and I've come across the same issue as you, there is no incident summary posted to the chat.

ian.silver May 8, 2023

In our case the errors were occurring because the tickets for which we were trying to create a linked chat did not have a default priority set.

Once we addressed this issue, everything worked as claimed in the documentation.

Our workaround was to create an automation rule to ensure that a default priority was always set.  

We then made review of that priority part of the procedure around establishing the linked chat.

Hope this helps!

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

Thanks for the information @ian.silver . The incident I tested with does have a priority set for it, but the incident was already completed/closed when I created the Teams chat. Have you by any chance tested with completed/closed incidents, and if so, was the "incident summary" posted to the chat or not?

Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2023

Nevermind @ian.silver I've got it figured out. My issue was the Atlassian ChatOps application for Microsoft Teams was blocked by policy within the MS Teams admin center. Nothing indicates this during setup, and it gets registered as an enterprise application within AzureAD, permissions granted, and creating chats works without any errors.

But to have the incident summary posted to the chat, the ability to change priority, assign to yourself, or add a message to the issue as a comment using the "Add as comment to incident" action, all requires the Atlassian ChatOps app to be added to the chat. Once I disconnected everything, unblocked Atlassian ChatOps within the Teams admin center, reconnected the JSM project to MS Teams, all of the functionality worked as expected in the new chat I created.

ian.silver May 9, 2023

Nice catch Connor, and thanks for sharing that here.  I did not encounter that, but I'm sure that will trip up others and now they'll have one less bump on their heads trying to figure out why it doesn't work for them!!!

btw, I ran a test on a closed ticket and it works fine there too :-)

Like Connor likes this
0 votes
Erik Jensen April 13, 2023

I was working on this too. It appears you need to select each chat message you wish to add to the incident via the three dots on the message (More actions > add as comment to incident).

One thing I noted was if I was chatting with someone, and I wanted to add there message to the Incident, it does get added to the Incident, but attributed to me (because I did the Teams action). It would be nice if the Incident comment would be attributed to the person who made the Teams chat message

ian.silver May 8, 2023

My best suggestion for that Erik is to make that part of your procedures for folks using the integration.  We created a simple how-to page in Confluence for folks to reference when using this integration.

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events