Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom fields edit permissions

Alejandra González January 13, 2022

Hi,

Is there a way of granting permission for custom fields?

I've created a custom field and I want to be the only being able to edit that field, not anyone else inside the project. Is this possible?

Thank you

Alejandra

2 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Not directly, Jira does not have field-level security (it's an anti-pattern for collaboration in most places).

You can do it though.  If you move "edit (certain fields)" into the workflow, you can protect the transitions with conditions.

Alejandra González January 14, 2022

how does this works? 

If you move "edit (certain fields)" into the workflow, you can protect the transitions with conditions."

Im not sure about it,

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

I didn't explain it originally, as I don't want to do the explanation if you already knew how to do it!

Let's imagine you have a simple workflow of Open -> In Progress -> Closed.  To "move the edit into the workflow";

1. Create a new screen, containing the field(s) you want to control the edit of.
  2. Remove the field(s) from the edit screen for the project and issue type (this stops people amending the field with either the edit button or the in-line editing)
  3. Edit the workflow.  Assuming you want to allow edit while the issue is "in progress", then create a transition that
    1. Goes from "in progress" back to "in progress"
    2. Uses the transition screen you created with the protected field
    3. Has conditions that prevent people from using it (for example, if only your project lead should be able to edit the field, then use a condition that says "user is project lead") 
Alejandra González January 17, 2022

ok, thank you

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2022

Hola @Alejandra González

Por defecto no se puede. Como dijo nic, tienes que usar una pantalla de transición.

Ejemplo: https://youtu.be/RIKYX-z4meM

Lo que nosotros hacemos es usar una transición con conditiones para que ciertas personas  puedan usuarlo y que se llama a si misma. Ejemplo: https://youtu.be/vIM3Yc3U6Hc

Saludos

Alejandra González January 17, 2022

vale, gracias

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders