Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom User Picker Field in Jira Service Management

Timo Engelvaart April 19, 2024

I am currently facing an issue related to a custom user picker field in our Jira Service Management instance. Here are the details:

Project Details:
Project Name: "Test_Project"
Custom Field: User Picker (single user) 

Objective:
I want to use the custom field to select users (e.g., Johan, Mike, Peter, and Miles) without granting them direct access to the project.

Challenge:
When I type "Mike" in the custom field, it displays the message "No Options."
Mike is part of a group that I've added to the field's filtering criteria.
However, I do not want to give Mike access to the project.

Permissions: Mike does not have direct access to the project.

Desired Outcome:
I need to be able to select Mike in the custom field without granting project access.
Could you please assist me in resolving this issue? Any guidance or troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.

I would also appreciate any alternatives. We use Assets, so maybe that can be a solution as well. 

1 answer

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

Hey @Timo Engelvaart 

Welcome to community!

By direct access, do you mean that you cannot make the portal available to the user in example Mike and have this option that "Customers can search for other customers within their organizations" checked?

Try 'Customers can search for other customers within their organizations, or manually enter the email address of other customers within their project' ?

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 10.45.42.png

Hey @Fazila Ashraf 

Thank you for your response.

I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous message. I do not wish for Johan, Mike, Peter, and Miles to have access to my project. I will provide more detailed information about my requirements.

Currently, my service management project is accessible to a select group of individuals. And I would like to keep it that way.

image.png

I have a custom field set up with filtering applied to a group that includes Mike, along with Johan, Peter, and Miles. These groups are synced with our Active Directory

image.png

But I want to be able to select these people in my field and not give them access to my project. This is my use of the custom field:image.png

And these are my customer permissions:

image.png

Is there a possibility to select Mike, Peter, Johan and Miles in my custom field without giving them access to the project?
Any alternatives to the custom field would also be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Timo

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

I experimented different approaches in the settings but couldn't achieve the ask. The user picker displays the users who have access to the portal. For a restricted project, i couldn't make this work without granted them customer role. 

Checked on the other posts and dont see any one else who sorted this out already.   :( 

Is it a finite list of users for the field? Could you use a drop field with the list of users maintained as choices?

Like Timo Engelvaart likes this

Thank you for your efforts and for exploring different settings to address the issue. Unfortunately, the user list that we need to sync from Active Directory is quite extensive and updates daily, which complicates the use of a static dropdown list.

I have looked into automating this process further. I am considering the possibility of automating an assets field and implementing a CSV import for assets. This would allow us to automatically retrieve and update the list of people from Active Directory.

Thank you again for your dedication to finding a solution. I'll keep you updated on the progress of the automation implementation.

Like Fazila Ashraf likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events