Custom Field Request

Elif Alverson May 17, 2023

Hello, 

I was asked to create a custom field called resolution type ( only for one project ) with two drop down options (‘Done - Guidance’, and ‘Done - Customer Value’) and date-time added to the each drop down option. Can I do that? If so, what is the procedure? Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Steve Long -Evelon-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2023

Hi @Elif Alverson

So firstly, I'd consider using the in-built Resolutions within Jira - you could add these additional resolution statuses to the list and then add the Resolution field to the screens on your project. This would probably be considered best practice. Doc for reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html

If you did want to go down the custom field route, you would need to create a new custom field (you have to be a Jira Administrator to do this by the way) which is a single choice dropdown select type, then proceed to add it to a screen within the project you're referring to.

How to create a custom field: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-a-custom-field/

Hope that helps - Steve.

Steve Long -Evelon-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2023

Just to add - if you added this custom field to a transition screen, then the date/time will be logged as part of the transition. This would also be best practice in order to not duplicate data. 

The same goes for using the in-built resolutions.

Elif Alverson May 17, 2023

@Steve Long -Evelon- , thank you for your quick response. The reason I prefer not to add these resolution types to the in-built resolutions is they are one project specific and not used by other  projects. It will cause conflict and questions. 

My plan is to add this new custom field to the resolution screen so that the project users can filter it out based on the type of resolution. Would it be possible to be seen in the filter-list view? 

Steve Long -Evelon-
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 17, 2023

That makes sense @Elif Alverson

As long as you have the column added to the filter list view, that should be fine.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events