Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a request with an issue type via the rest API

Rob Ardies November 5, 2021

In the Jira Service Management board UI, I'm able to create a an issue and assign it an "Issue Type" such as "IT Help".

Example:

image.png

However, the rest API endpoint for Jira Service Management that creates customer requests only accepts request types, and not the base issue types.

Is there a way to create with the base issue type through the Jira Service Management REST API? We are trying to support an account with Jira Service Management access but no access to the Jira Cloud rest API.

I have tried sending the "issueTypeId" value for the base type to the create customer request endpoint, but it was not accepted.

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2021

Hi @Rob Ardies 

JSM works with request types, which rely on issue types. When a customer creates a ticket, he/she creates a request type and not an issue type. The issue type is what's underneath the request type though. Even if you try to create an issue type, which is doable, it will not have a value in the request type field and this will not be visible to your queues.

May I ask what is the reason of creating a ticket without a request type? Perhaps if you could explain what you are trying to achieve, we will be in a better position to offer our help.

I don't know the exact reasoning, but it is the process followed by a team which is trying to automate this part of the process through the rest API.

I understand it's not the intended usage, but wanted to check if there was a workaround I hadn't stumbled upon!

From your response, am I correct in assuming this cannot be done via the Jira Service Management Rest API?

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2021

@Rob Ardies instead of using JSM REST api, you should use Jira cloud REST api to do the trick. However, as I mentioned to you earlier, without a request type present on the newly created issue, this will not be visible on your project's queue.

Try the following however:

postman.png

You have to make sure that on your body of the request, all required fields are present.

Thanks for your answers, Alex. I appreciate it.

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2021

Anytime!

Kindly mark my answer as accepted, to help others in the community. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events