Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Asset Incident Trend Reports

ian.silver April 27, 2023

I'm looking for a way to create a report for my infrastructure team that shows all assets that have had 3 or more incidents linked to them in the past 6 months.

We currently pull assets from Device42 via their direct integration to JSM Premium. 

We are also exploring their integration to Jira Assets.

I can generate a list of all incidents from the past 6 months with the linked assets displayed, using something like this:

project = ITSM AND issuetype = "[System] Incident" AND created >= -26w AND "Linked assets[Assets]" != ""

However, this does not allow me to group by assets, nor even sort by assets, and if I export to Excel, I currently lose the human-friendly value of the assets listed.

Does anyone have experience working with asset data in Jira Assets pulled from a 3rd party source?

Once we have the Device42 to Jira Assets integration in place, will Jira Assets support the export and grouping I need to do?

2 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

@ian.silver -

Once you have migrated or integrated your Device42 and Jira Assets, what you will need is to create new custom JSM/Jira issue fields (sourced from Assets schema) and apply those fields to your JSM project issues.  After you populated those fields within your JSM issues, then your JQL will work properly.

I can only assumed that your existing custom field "Linked assets(Assets)" is a text format field?  Thus, you have difficulty in grouping your data.

Here is the reference link on custom field setup sourcing from Assets schema - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/set-up-the-assets-object-field/

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

ian.silver May 1, 2023

Thanks for the response Joseph.  We are still working through some issues with the integration.

We have been using an earlier integration that connects directly to JSM from Device42.

The Linked Assets field is not a text custom field that we created; it is part of this integration and populated dynamically via an API call.  The values DO appear in search results, but cannot be manipulated (e.g. sorted) or exported.

This is why we are exploring the newer integration to Jira Assets, hoping that we will be able to transform these into static values that we can manipulate and export.

Thanks also for the pointer on custom field setup from Assets.  

0 votes
Anna Odrynska - Alpha Serve
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2023

Hi  @ian.silver 

If Assets reporting is still something on your desk, note that is also possible to build any of assets reporting in Power BI/Tableau. 

If you're open to consider this option, take a look at our integration apps: Power BI Connector for Jira / Tableau Connector for Jira. Both of them allow to export Assets data to the relevant BI tool for further report building. 

Cheers,

Anna from Alpha Serve

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events