Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a task 2 days after an issue has been created

Jack Nicholls March 28, 2024

Currently setting up an automation in a team-managed project where once a certain issue has been created with a certain summary value, a task needs to be created two days later. As Jira automation only allows you to create one 'trigger', I'm finding it quite difficult to create a scheduler for this task to be created of the back of the issue. 

I've seen a few people use JQL queries but that's for the 'schedule' trigger, however, I also need to use a 'when an issue is created' trigger so I may need to use two automations here. 

Just interested to see if anyones had the same problem as me here or if anyone can point me in the right direction.

3 answers

1 vote
Tugba Capaci
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2024

Hi @Jack Nicholls ,

You can give Actioner a try, a low-code automation platform that integrates with JSM and Jira. Using its scheduled job feature, you can schedule the creation of tasks.

For your scenario, here's what you can do:

1. Create a workflow that listens for newly created issues.
2. Add a condition within the workflow to check if the issue's summary meets the specified criteria.
3. If the condition is met, trigger a scheduled job to create the task two days later.

This setup ensures that whenever an issue matching the defined criteria is created, Actioner will automatically schedule the task creation process. Here is what your workflow looks like:

You can edit this part according you needs (3).png

And you can check out the built-in Jira app.

Jira integration | JSM integration

Tugba

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Jack Nicholls 

Can I clarify why you need 2 triggers? What is the "issue created" trigger being used for in this instance?

---

I don't know all the specifics you need here, but the rule might look something like this...

• Trigger: Scheduled
    • Run rule every = 1 Days
    • Run a JQL search... = TRUE (check box)
    • JQL - project = ABC AND created >= -2d AND created < -1d AND Summary ~ "Text"
  • Condition: Issue fields condition
    • Field = Summary
    • Condition = contains
    • Value = Text
  • Condition: Related issues condition
    • Related issues = Linked issues
    • Link types = relates to
    • Condition = None match specified JQL
    • Matching JQL - issuetype = Task
  • Action: Create Issue
    • Project = Same project
    • Issue Type = Task
    • Summary = Summary
    • Linked Issues = relates to, Trigger Issue

---

A few notes...

• This rule would activate against all issues found which match the conditions, not just one
  • I've included a Summary comparison in both the JQL in the trigger, and as a condition, to show what options you have
  • I've assumed you would link the Task to the original issue, so you can compare if an issue already has a linked Task
  • The link could be parent/child rather than sibling if the second issue is a Sub-task

---

Let us know your thoughts! And if you want more specific instructions, please provide us some additional details to work from :)

Ste

0 votes
Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2024

Hi @Jack Nicholls ,

As you already mentioned, you will have to create 2 separate automation rules since you can only have 1 trigger.

Best regards,

Kris

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events