Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Backup - External

Peter Grainger January 19, 2023

Hi All, 

I would like to know the options regarding backups please.

Is there any way to schedule backups of our cloud instance?
All I can see is the option to create a backup and download it locally.

Is there any way to export the backup via Jira to Onedrive or a server?
I can't seem to see any options for this aside from a marketplace app.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Peter

5 answers

1 vote
Danny Grenzowski _Rewind_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 14, 2023

We built Rewind to provide a comprehensive automated backup for your Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket Cloud instances. With Rewind, you can also automatically perform instance-level and item-level restores, in case you would like to revert changes made by human error, apps, etc.

Feel free to give it a try free for 30 days via the Marketplace. I'm the lead PM for it, so if you have any feedback or would like a specific use case address, let me know and I'd love to interview you.

Best,

Danny from Rewind

0 votes
Marion Richardson February 8, 2023

Hi All, 

We're doing manual backups form Jira Cloud instance. Has anyone ever tested a restore from a backup? 

Also, is there any advice on whether projects should be Company-Managed rather than Team-Managed?

Thanks,

Marion

0 votes
Vish Reddy _Revyz_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Hi @Peter Grainger 

Couple of things for you to consider from a data protection / recovery.

If you reference the Atlassian's Cloud Security Shared Responsibilities Model, the admin is responsible for your data, which is true across most SaaS applications such as O365, SFDC etc..

Here is another article on the data protection practices of Atlassian.

This article like the one referenced by @Max Foerster - K15t has pointed out, calls out how Atlassian manages data residing in its infrastructure from their perspective i.e. if there is an issue/incident in their infrastructure (hardware or software), how they are able to recover any data lost, but that does not address if the customer had a data loss incident due to accidents or malicious deletion of data, which is where the Atlassian's Cloud Security Shared Responsibilities Model plays a role and clearly delineates who is responsible for what.

Here are the options you have:

• Do nothing - You are accepting the risk to potential data loss
  • Have a data protection strategy by way backing up your data and storing it securely:
    1. Use Atlassian provided mechanisms to backup your data
    2. Use third party tools backup & restore your data

Picking options 1 or 2 have their own pros & cons

reference my view here on #1, If your data set size is relatively small you can automate the backup part using scripts and unpublished API's, but backup is only one part of the challenge, you also need to ensure the data your backing up is restorable when needed.

With third party tools look for the one which provides you the most flexibility for your specific use case. If you are interested I can share more on what we have built at Revyz. The app we have built is more focused on data management and data backup & granular restore is one of the use cases we address.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

There are a couple of marketplace apps that can automate the use of Jira's backup systems and be set up to do it regularly.  Have a skim of https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=backup

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2023

Hi Peter,

Atlassian is taking care of application backups. Let me refer you to the How Atlassian Manages Customer Data docs. Specifically the "How we manage backups" parts.

Aside from that, you will have to look into third-party solutions. :/

Best, Max

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events