Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clone random issues

João Cunha March 28, 2024

Hi,

I have a list of 200 tickets and every month I want 10 of these tickets to be cloned at random.

I was looking at https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Can-Jira-select-a-random-sample-of-issues-for-QA/qaq-p/1419911 but it's not working on my side.

It only generates 120/125 random numbers when I need 200, right?

This is my automation:

image.png

Can you help us?

Thank you.

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @João Cunha 

You can do this natively, but you need to have metadata randomly added to tickets throughout the month you can then refer to in the rule.

It uses similar logic..

• Trigger: Issue transitioned
  • Action: Create variable
    • Name = RandomNumber
    • Smart value = {{#=}}CEILING(RANDOM()*10){{/}}
  • Condition: {{smart values}} condition
    • First value = {{RandomNumber}}
    • Condition = greater than
    • Second value = 9
  • Action: Edit Issue
    • For example, add a Label, or tick a checkbox

---

A few notes...

• A random number is assigned between 1-10. And the condition then checks it's over 9 (i.e 10) - which has a ~10% chance of being assigned.
  • You could add a label or similar, and then clone the issues once a month on a schedule. Or, you could set the Action above to be "Clone Issue" if preferred.

It's not an exact science as there's no guarantee there won't be a repeat number, but it should average out over time, as the selection size grows.

Ste

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2024

Correct, automation is limited in the number of random numbers and it will only get the first 100 issues in a query. So you would not be able to do this within an automation unless you can find a way of dividing your list of issues up in at least two queries.

I created a randomizer using tray.io that gets a number of requests for each of our agents that have been resolved in the past two weeks, and this is used for peer reviews.

João Cunha April 1, 2024

Hi @Mikael Sandberg 

Thanks for your quick reply!

Your solution sounds good! I will give a try it and maybe think in one solution to divide the issues in two queries.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events