cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view see edited reply of customer within comment

Hermen Pastoor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 19, 2022

I work for a mid-sized company, where all support is done through Jira. Customers sent an email to a seperate alias, which ends up in the Jira inbox as issues. We reply on these issues by typing our response and hitting 'Reply to customer' > Save. 

It happens more often that our customers take their original message and edit that by adding sentences in between. They seem to reply on the entire thread in their email client and press 'reply' to send that back to us. 

It now seems that Jira skips the part of the email that is 'resent' by the customer. We often get emails that say something like: 'Hey, I have added my answers on the questions down below next to your comments' and nothing shows up for us.

Is there a way to disable the 'auto-deletion' that Jira does, or could the issue be elsewhere? I am a relative novice user of Jira, so if there is any pointers towards fixes or documentation, they are much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Hermen

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2022

Hello @Hermen Pastoor

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand that you are using a JSM project (Jira Service Management). Is that correct?

The clearing of the previous email reply from a comment is called "Strip-quotes" on the Jira email handler and is configured by default to avoid the creation of a big thread when adding comments from customers' email replies.

You can disable the strip quotes for your site by following the steps below, also described in this documentation:

1. Navigate to your Jira site
  2. at the top-right corner, click on the gear icon (Settings) > Products
  3. In the left menu, click on Email requests in the section Jira Service Management
  4. Flag the option to "Don't strip quotes"
    Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 15.20.58.png

An important warning to be considered:

The configuration mentioned above is global, so the strip quotes can only be added/removed to all projects on your site. The feature request below was created to allow more customization options for that feature:

As a service desk administration, require custom strip quote for requesting create issue from email 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hermen Pastoor
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 27, 2022

Hi Petter,

Thank you so much for your reply and explanation, that makes it very clear. 

Kind regards

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events