Cannot create a Project in Jira SD due to an unknown error

Channa patna February 17, 2021

Getting the error as in the image here. The language is English and I have checked the details of Russian language issue.

Please help me in understanding the cause of this unknown error as I am new to Jira Service Desk.

Jira_Create_Project_Failure.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

Channa,

Could you check the atlassian-jira.log file at the time that you got the error?

That could get a more clear view on what the issue is here.

Hi @Laurens Coppens , I found the below error in the atlassian-jira.log file for the Project creation. A REST API call seems to have failed here. What could have caused this Exception..

2021-02-17 12:49:48,535 http-nio-8090-exec-14 ERROR kumar 769x511x1 1chgzto 117.192.138.156 /rest/project-templates/1.0/templates [c.a.p.r.c.error.jersey.ThrowableExceptionMapper] Uncaught exception thrown by REST service: An error occurred while notifying that a project was created
java.lang.RuntimeException: An error occurred while notifying that a project was created
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.project.DefaultProjectService.notifyHandlersOfProjectCreated(DefaultProjectService.java:395)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.project.DefaultProjectService.createProjectInternal(DefaultProjectService.java:377)
at com.atlassian.jira.bc.project.DefaultProjectService.createProject(DefaultProjectService.java:347)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
... 1 filtered

Another log snippet for the Project creation failure:

2021-02-17 12:49:48,504 http-nio-8090-exec-14 ERROR kumar 769x511x1 1chgzto 117.192.138.156 /rest/project-templates/1.0/templates [c.a.jira.project.ProjectCreateRegistrarImpl] The handler with id com.atlassian.jira.project-templates-plugin:apply-project-template-handler threw an exception while handling a notification about a project being created
com.querydsl.core.QueryException: Caught PSQLException for insert into "AO_B9A0F0_APPLIED_TEMPLATE" ("PROJECT_ID", "PROJECT_TEMPLATE_MODULE_KEY", "PROJECT_TEMPLATE_WEB_ITEM_KEY") values (?, ?, ?)
at com.querydsl.sql.DefaultSQLExceptionTranslator.translate(DefaultSQLExceptionTranslator.java:50)
at com.querydsl.sql.Configuration.translate(Configuration.java:451)
at com.querydsl.sql.dml.SQLInsertClause.executeWithKeys(SQLInsertClause.java:364)
at com.querydsl.sql.dml.SQLInsertClause.executeWithKey(SQLInsertClause.java:172)
at com.querydsl.sql.dml.SQLInsertClause.executeWithKey(SQLInsertClause.java:153)
at com.atlassian.jira.projecttemplates.service.AppliedTemplateStorageImpl.lambda$add$0(AppliedTemplateStorageImpl.java:26)
at com.atlassian.pocketknife.internal.querydsl.DatabaseAccessorImpl.lambda$execute$18(DatabaseAccessorImpl.java:55)
at com.atlassian.sal.core.rdbms.DefaultTransactionalExecutor.executeInternal(DefaultTransactionalExecutor.java:87)
at com.atlassian.sal.core.rdbms.DefaultTransactionalExecutor.lambda$execute$0(DefaultTransactionalExecutor.java:43)
at com.atlassian.jira.database.DatabaseAccessorImpl.runInManagedTransaction(DatabaseAccessorImpl.java:131)
... 2 filtered
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.atlassian.plugin.util.ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.invoke(ContextClassLoaderSettingInvocationHandler.java:26)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy222.runInManagedTransaction(Unknown Source)
... 2 filtered

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

Thanks for the logs.

I believe you might already have found this troubleshooting article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/create-project-fails-with-unknown-error-in-jira-server-818580338.html

So i searched a bit deeper and it seems to look like the same issue as this person had: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/We-couldn-t-create-your-project-due-to-an-unknown-error/qaq-p/192868

And the resolution to this issue can be found here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-64886

If this doesn't help you, could you share your Jira version and Jira service desk/management version?

Version details are as below:

Jira Service Desk -- 4.0.0

PostgreSQL DB -- 11.10

Jira -- 8.0.0

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

Channa,

Your database is not supported, jira 8 supports until 9.6

Postgres 11 support is only from 8.7 So that might cause issues.

I think its best to upgrade to the latest LTS release if possible.

This means going to 8.5 and then to 8.13

Was this a fresh install?

Yes, its a fresh install.

How can we upgrade Jira from Jira-8 to Jira-8.5 and then 8.13?

To do this upgrade, do we have to upgrade Jira Service Desk as well to a higher version?

For our project it was decided to use Jira Service Desk v4.0.0.

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

Channa,

For this question i think we would go to deep to see why you would go for 4.0.0

Its not logic to me to go for the old version, as you will need to upgrade eventually and the latest version just has a lot more features build in.

To answer, yes, you will need to upgrade Service Desk as well.

So if you really want 4.0.0, you need to stay on 8.0.0 of jira and then i recommend you to use postgres 9.6

But my advise is to go for 8.13 with corresponding JSD.

Thanks @Laurens Coppens.

I will discuss with my team on this and take necessary steps. 

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 17, 2021

You're welcome.

If this has helped you, you can always accept the answer on the top. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events