Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create Jira issue from Opsgenie alert

Manikranth V Bheemineni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 4, 2022

Hello,

I integrated Jira Service Desk/ Service Management with Opsgenie with Webhook and I configured all the alert actions rules, but it only creates an Opsgenie alert from a Jira issue and not vice-versa.

I would like it to work both ways. When creating an alert in Opsgenie or when receiving an alert in Opsgenie from a monitoring tool (such as Grafana), this alert to be forwarded to Jira or an incident to be created in Jira.

In alert's activity logs I get the message:

Apr 4 10:21 PM
system Manikranth V Bheemineni
Alert created via web[Default API-Create Alert] with tiny id [5499] id [681b63fb-2c83-4ea2-b4c2-5a530660239a-1649128888203]

Apr 4 10:21 PM
system System
Sent [createIssue] action to JiraServiceDesk [Testing_Grafana_opgenie_Jira]

Even though it say it "Sent [createIssue] action to JiraServiceDesk" it does not create the ticket in Jira.

or

add a comment to the ticket in Jira when i ack'ed in opsgenie.

Could you please advise on this? We need it to be bi-directional.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Manikranth

1 answer

1 vote
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2022

Hi @Manikranth V Bheemineni ,

Typically when the alert's activity log shows "Sent [createIssue] action to JiraServiceDesk" it does not create the ticket in Jira" - but no issue is being created in JSM, you have the OEC checkbox selected:

oec.jpg

If that's the case, please unselect this, save the integration, and retest. OEC is typically only needed with on-prem instances: https://support.atlassian.com/opsgenie/docs/integrate-opsgenie-with-jira-service-management/#Integration-via-OEC--for-On-Premise-Jira-Service-Management-Usage-

Manikranth V Bheemineni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 6, 2022

Hello @Nick H

Thank you for the Explanation. Yes, I was testing out the integration by checking and unchecking the OEC couple times.

Yes, i unchecking the OEC and tested again. I see the error -
Apr 63:00 PM
system System
Could not send [createIssue] action to JiraServiceDesk [Testing_Grafana_opgenie_Jira] after 5 retries. Reason: 503 Service Unavailable: [<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> <html><head> <meta type="copyright" content="Copyright (C) 1996-2017 The Squid Software Foundation and contri... (3277 bytes)]

To give you the perspective our Jira service manager is hosting it on on-prime.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 6, 2022

Hi @Manikranth V Bheemineni ,

Then I believe OEC would be required with your instance, and that checkbox would need to be selected.

With this, you would install the OEC service on a server (typically on the JSM server), and it will sit in the middle of Opsgenie and JSM. Opsgenie alerts would send to OEC, which will then execute a script to create the issue in JSM.

You can modify the OEC script to customize things such as configure it to set an Opsgenie alert field as a required custom field in JSM. But it seems like it'd be needed for your use case.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events