Can SharePoint and Jira's knowledge base be connected?

Ashley Newman July 8, 2021

I am wondering if it is possible to have an integration between a SharePoint site and the Jira Service Management knowledge base in Confluence for my project. My goal is the following: when a user is creating a new issue ticket (for example, using the portal) and types a word into the summary box, I want to be able to see suggestions related to the words typed in the summary box from the SharePoint site. So, for example, let's say a user is creating a ticket and they type into the summary box "intercom in room 1 is not working". When they type this, I want related documents from the SharePoint site to be recommended to the user so that before they submit the ticket, they can see if one of the documents from the SharePoint site is useful and can solve the problem. That way, people can solve their problems before submitting a ticket thanks to the fact that key words in issue creations trigger information on the SharePoint to show up as recommendations for solutions to the problem. If this is at all possible or anyone has any tips/ideas related to this topic, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Upon further research into this, I discovered the app "SharePoint Connector for Confluence". Before I go ahead and pay to use this, does anyone know if this app would work for my problem. Thanks again!

3 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Franz Reichard _Communardo_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2021

Hello @Ashley Newman,

thank you for your question.

With our SharePoint Connector for Confluence it is possible to embed SharePoint content (Documents and lists) into Confluence pages and therefore also into knowledge base articles. The automatic knowledge base search function in Jira Service Management will only search for text and labels in the knowledge base itself, but not within embedded SharePoint content. A possible workaround would be to add the title of the document(s) and a few key words or labels into the knowledge base article. This way the search will also suggest this knowledge base article with the embedded document(s).

If you have further questions or support requests you can also contact our support directly.

Kind regards,

Franz
Communardo Support

Guhan August 13, 2021

Thanks Franz. I just started to research on your Connector app. I could see two different options in Confluence, one for Sharepoint Lists and other one is for Documents. I am trying both. Unfortunately, it is not selecting all the folders from the main folder and it may be due to permission issue. I am continuing my research and will post my findings. 

Ashley, thanks for posting the question as I am on the same boat now. Please share your outcome and can be helpful.

Like Ashley Newman likes this
Ashley Newman August 13, 2021

I ended up doing a workaround and adding each document from the SharePoint into a Confluence article manually. Wasn't hard, but was time consuming. Unfortunately, I have not found a better way to do this.

Guhan August 13, 2021

Thanks Ashley. I will let you know if I can find something that can save our time.

Like Ashley Newman likes this
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2021

Thank you @Guhan for your feedback.

I hope were able to find the missing permissions. If you still can't select the folders don't hesitate and contact our support directly.

Best regards

Franz

Guhan August 20, 2021

@Franz Reichard _Communardo_ I was able to find the Sharepoint folders, however, the feature works fine in Chrome, but not in Safari until today. I was able to see the list in Safari too. However, Safari is having login issues to Sharepoint and not working every time and the performance is very slow. I would suggest to use Chrome for easier and faster access.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2021

Hello @Guhan

thanks for sharing your experience.

If it does not work for a certain (supported) browser it might be due to blocking of 3rd party cookies.

Please check the prerequisites for more information.

If you have further questions or support requests you can also contact our support directly.

Kind regards

Franz
Communardo Support

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

@Ashley Newman Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Integrating SharePoint with the recommended search is not currently possible. You can only use Confluence as your integrated knowledge base at this time.  

The SharePoint connector app syncs Confluence content into SharePoint so I do not believe it is what you are looking for.

I would suggest getting Confluence and adding your knowledge base articles there in order to take advantage of the feature you are explaining above.

Wilco Lindeboom October 13, 2022

Hi Brant, 

just wondering if there is an update on this subject?
Jira Service management and Sharepoint are both leading in the world, so it would make sence to be able to connect the 2 and thus be able to use Sharepoint as a knowledge base in Jira Service Management in order to get the best of 2 worlds...

Kind regards, 

Wilco Lindeboom

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2022

No update.  Atlassian provides a KB through Confluence and I don't see them making and API that would compete with their own product.  

Wilco Lindeboom October 14, 2022

That is a valid point, I can understand that, thank you!

0 votes
Paiton Swaim August 15, 2022

One option I am currently trying out (and started searching to see if there was a more integrated way to do this) is that I have confluence pages created with descriptive titles and labels and then I added the iframe component into the confluence page and linked the corect SharePoint page. I haven't messed with the CSS yet but there is likely a little formatting needed so that it isn't tiny. Anyways - seems to work well. The way I am seeing it I have the following options: 

1. Duplicate content by having it within SharePoint and within Confluence (sounds like a lot of maintenance and paying for more technology than you need)

2. Find a fancy work around (my iframe idea maybe?)

3. Use only 1 - SharePoint OR Confluence, losing the "best of both worlds" option. 

Hope this helps! Interested in if you found any other slick way since it's been about a year. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events