Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I hide a custom field in a View screen if it's empty?

Phil Bustin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2023

Can I hide a custom field in a View screen if it's empty?

1 answer

4 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2023

The new layout is using both screens and a layout, and if you go to Project settings > Request type and select request type you want to hide the field on. Then select the issue layout tab and from here you can hide fields with no values.

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 8.31.16 AM.png

Robert Kneip March 7, 2024

Thank you but when its done this way. The fields do not retain their position in the layout when they re populated. Instead they just go into the bottom of the context section. JSM is what Im working in. It uses Forms and seems that the edit screen has no impact on what does and does not appear on the view issue screen. Consequently the back end is a mess of fields that dont pertain to the section that is filled out in the form. I have 3 different subsystems in one form. The user only fills out the ones in context to the request. Yet they all show in the issue view. :(

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2024

@Robert Kneip You have to separate Forms from Request forms. Form fields are only linked to Jira fields if you have made that connection. So if you have a Form attached to a request type that is not linked to any Jira issues it would look something like this:

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 1.57.35 PM.png

If for example the field Describe in more detail would have been linked to Description, the text entered in the Form field would be copied to the Description field.

Based on your description it sounds like your Form fields are not linked to any Jira fields, and in that case you could remove the fields that you do not want to see by going to the request type and remove them from the issue view.

Hi Thank you for the reply. All of the fields in my form are linked to the jira fields in the issue view. I thought that might be the problem. Even though they are not on the Issue Edit screen they still appear on the view screen when they are empty. 

Is it possibe the Form is causing this? 

So again the simple use case is when a customer does not fill out a field in the form I dont want to see that field on the back end. Thats not happening even if I remove the field from the edit screen. All form fields are linked to Jira fields.

Thanks again

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2024

No, not unless you add those fields to Hide when empty section in the issue layout. 

Ok so looks like it is working now?? I remved the fields from the edit screen and they are not appearing on the view screen if they are empty. I can still refer to the form to see what infor was missed or make the fields I need manadtory. I think it may be solved. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events