Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Service Ticket to Jira Ticket

Evan Giordanella September 2, 2021

I am looking for some best practices in when a Service Ticket needs to become an Engineering Ticket in a Jira Project. Is it best to create a new Jira ticket and link them? Or transition the original ticket to a new project? This happens when customer issues become engineering issues, and the status of the engineering task needs to be kept track of by the service team. Any insights would be helpful!

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2021

Hi Evan,

This is a good question and one that has been asked and answered a few times in the community. First in for most I will state that this is my opinion but I think that you will find it is most peoples opinion or at least most of it. LOL

• Basically you don't want to move the JSM issue as that will break the connection with your customer. In most organizations where are you have a customer facing group and an internal development group you have separate issue tracking systems or projects in the case of Atlassian products. This allows the customer support team to work independent of the development team. However it is obviously important or ideal to link these two issues in a manner that allows you to keep track.
  • JSM in cloud has the ability to create a linked issue. This works very well for integrating JSM with JSW. I use this exact feature for my situation. If one of my customer agents determines that the request requires development activity then they transition the issue to a development status. I have automation running that automatically creates a linked issue in the appropriate product in JSW triggered by that transition. The appropriate product is determined by the use of the components field. I also use automation to keep the JSM ticket up to date based on certain transitions within the JSW linked issue.
Evan Giordanella September 2, 2021

Thanks for the answer! So upon a given transition, automation will create an issue in the correct Project? What sort of automation do you have that keeps the JSM issue up to date? Do you have an example? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events