Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation on custom fields

Melissa Cross January 2, 2023

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help. We receive a number of automated alerts through Jira and I am trying to set up an automation to fill certain fields however it will not pick up 2 of them so I am having to use JSON. I am using the below but the automation keeps failing. Can you please help?

{
   "set":{
      "customfield_11540":[
         {
            "value":"Support_Centre",
            "child":{
               "value":"IT"
            }
         }
      ]
   }
}

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2023

Hi @Melissa Cross 

Looking at what you are aiming to do, I suspect you are trying to set the value of a cascading select field.

I will suggest looking at the following : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/How-do-I-set-a-Cascading-Field-using-Automation-in-Jira-Service/qaq-p/903653 though from just an initial look you seem almost there minus the square brackets.

I t will also be Great to see the exact error you are getting from the automation log.

Melissa Cross January 3, 2023

@Ismael Jimoh I now have a functioning automation! Thank you

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 2, 2023

@Melissa Cross -

Hi Melissa:

Two things that you may also want to check (in addition to what @Ismael Jimoh suggested) -

1) For the custom field (cascade select data type) - Are the values that you try to populate the issue are defined already (exact spelling) in the field configuration dropdown?

2) Is the custom field (in question) exposed to your JSM project in question? Example - Field itself is setup with proper context configuration against your JSM project and issue types?  Field has been added to the JSM project's issue screens to the appropriate issue types?

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Melissa Cross January 2, 2023

Hi @Ismael Jimoh 

Thank you for your response, I will take a look at that. Yeah, I feel like I am so close.

This is the error:

Edit issue
No fields or field values to edit for issues (could be due to some field values not existing in a given project):
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2023

Looking at the error you shared, I will also verify that for this field, in the field mappings for the project the automation is running in, the value is available.

I will first of all try what was suggested in the linked ticket (it contains a link to Advanced automation configurations and from here, you can see how to set the value for a cascading select list).

Let me know if this solves the issue for you.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events