Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation - default Values for create screen Jira Cloud

Charlie March 11, 2022

I am trying to see if it is possible to automate the Field Description by inserting the default Values in advance so when click on Create first, the field should be displayed with that default values.

any idea for automate rule please?

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2022

Hi @Charlie - Automation would not work in this way.  Instead, you would need a rule that triggers the creation of an issue. On the Create Issue action, you can populate the description (or any other field for that matter) with whatever text you desire.

Charlie March 11, 2022

Thank you @Mark Segall ,

if using the way you described above, it works. But it is not what we want, our need is to

pre-populate text to a description field on Jira Cloud. It should be somethink like this :

tempsnip.png

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2022

Hi @Charlie - I understand the desire, but the Description field is a standard field and you cannot set a default value.  Your best bet is to replace it with a custom field.  Custom fields allow for setting default value.

Charlie March 15, 2022

Hi @Mark Segall , 

do you have an Idea regarding some addons for Jira Cloud , that could solve the issue ?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2022

Hi @Charlie - I haven't found anything on the market for this.  Another approach you can take is this:

1. Create a custom description field with a default value as mentioned in my last post
  2. Assign that custom field to only the create screen to serve as the description only for issue creation
  3. Remove the Description field from the create screen, but keep it on the view/edit screens
  4. Create an automation rule that triggers off issue creation and copies the custom field into the description
Charlie March 18, 2022

Hi @Mark Segall ,

thank you very much for your help.

I did the steps suggested and it is now working.

0 votes
Jarosław Solecki _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2023

At that time there where no such API from Atlassian.

Currently, we have a solution and you can already set Default Values for native fields via plugin Dynamic Forms for Jira.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events