Automation and subtasks

Olof Nysten June 22, 2021

I'm setting up my most advanced automation workflow yet.

The workflow is going to handle preboarding of employees.

A manager "orders" an employee to HR. Depending on what he/she enters, a number of sub-tasks is going to be created, for example "order computer". As the summary of the main task is the employee name I want to copy the summary so that the sub-tasks summary is "Order computer for {main tasks summary}". I also want the fields of the sub-task to be shown in the "main window", not the sidebar.

Is that possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

Yes this is possible. I recommend you familiarize yourself with smart values. 

give it a try and come back with questions if you hit roadblocks.

FWIW, I have a similar process for Onboarding new employees but I chose to use a checklist addon as it works better for my use case and is easier to setup and maintain.

Olof Nysten June 22, 2021

Thanks for your reply

I don't think I can use checklists as I want to distribute the subtasks to different departments. Or is it possible?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

In the app I use I can @mention in the task but not assign. It may be possible with other apps but unsure. If assignment is important then sub-tasks are the way to go for sure. What I have done for Onboarding is to create multiple tasks and assign to the owner of all checklist tasks, e.g. HR, IT, Hiring Manager, Facilities. I use smart values in Automation when creating tasks to include new employee name, hiring manager and start date in summary and custom fields.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events