Automate a Comment with Previous Field Information

Georgia Beckers March 28, 2023

Hello
I am trying to automate a comment, and I need to use a previous value of a field within the ticket

To explain, we use a project in Jira as an Asset Register. A device/thing is assigned to a person using a 'Assigned To' user-picker custom field. All this assigning thing works fine.

Assigning.png

When unassigning to the person, by removing the value of the Assigned To field, I want a comment to be automatically made on the ticket saying "Device Unassigned from "Previous Value of Assigned To" but I can't get it to pick up the name

Unassigned.png

I've tried using {{changelog.<field>.from}} and the {{issue.linkedIssues.<linkType>.<field>}} to try and pull it from the linked issue, but the name still isn't populating, even though the automation runs as success

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Georgia Beckers March 29, 2023

I've managed to solve this myself, super easy fix! Just used {{fieldChange.fromString}} to get the value of the last changed field. 

1 vote
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2023

Hi @Georgia Beckers 

Could you please also provide a screenshot of your automation rule and your comment action? I tested in my syxstem with a userPicker custom field and it worked correctly. 

Furthermore:
Could you add a log action that simply prints the change log {{changelog}}? This should give information about details of the changelog.

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events