Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advice for using 2 emails on a project or forwarding an email?

Calvin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2024

Hi all, I need to update the JSM Project email to a new one, but unfortunately I'd like to keep the old one for a little while in the interim while users get used to the new one. But it looks like I can only have one?

So I tried forwarding the original email to the new one, which sort of works but the issue I'm having are:

• The original email is coming through as a request participant. I assume I can remove it with automation? But I do have an automated comment on issue created automation so I assume I have to do it before that so its not great to start changing things.
  • The new email has some header text added in by the system, I was hoping maybe the email handler can strip it out in some way?

It did get me thinking though, I imagine 2 emails must be a common use-case. So I wonder if I'm missing something?

Cheers!

2 answers

0 votes
Andrea Rákosfalvy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 22, 2024

Hi @Calvin,

If these are your email addresses (not the default one provided for the JMS project), you could take a look at using the Email This Issue application.

With the app you can set up both email addresses as separate incoming connections, and add both to be processed by the same mail handler.

They can be processed the exact same way, or you can add conditions to treat emails differently, for example, if an email comes to the old email address, you can create an issue/add a comment, but also send an auto-reply informing the customer to use the new email address moving forward (for this you would need an outgoing connection configured in the app too).

Adding and removing mail connections from mail handlers can be done with a couple of clicks so when you are satisfied that most customers are using the new email address, you can just remove the old connection from the handler. You can even keep the incoming connection, just in case you need to add it back to the handler later.

Please feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any questions.

BR,
Andrea

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2024

Hi @Calvin , I do not know of a clean way of dealing with this. Here is an old post and response from Atlassian member - How-to-Capture-Original-Reporter-Information-on-Forwarded-Emails . You will note that the mentioned suggestion captured in that post is marked as won't do. If you can somehow have a forwarding rule include the original From user in the body of the email then Automation could potentially extract and set the reporter. You likely would also want to then email the reporter from within the same rule to notify them that the issue was created. You might also look at third party email handler alternatives to see if they can handle this scenario better. I seem to recall there are options that support multiple emails.

Finally, there are a number of posts in the Community discussion this or similar situations so I encourage you to look beyond my answer here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events