Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a static tesxt field

Bruce Anderson _Administrator_ March 29, 2023

I have a pretty simple requirement to add some static text on a form to explain things to the person entering the form.  We are using Jira Service Management.

This resource explains a method to do it.

Add a custom message to the Create Issue screen in Jira server | Jira | Atlassian Documentation

I get to the point where it mentions to go to "Settings" for the custom field, ten to "Edit Default Value".  However there is no "Settings" or Default Value anywhere I can see.  ONly an "Edit Details" for the field, which gives me the attached screen and nowhere to enter the default text value.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Or is there another way to add static text?

Field Details.png

1 answer

0 votes
Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Hi @Bruce Anderson _Administrator_ ,

If you want to set up your description inside a specific Service Management Request Form,  go Project Settings -> Request Types. Choose a request type to open the form.

Here, you have several options:

* Request Type Description: To provide general information about the request type

* A field "Instructions" that you can use to provide instructions entering the form.

* Each field can be opened separately and has a "Portal field name" and "Description" property that you can enter.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Kris

Bruce Anderson _Administrator_ April 5, 2023

Thank you Kris for that.  The issue with the fields is that while I can change the description to be what is required, it is still a field that the user can select, type into, etc.  I need purely static text, and it needs to be halfway down the form.  Not at the top where the Description is.  I couldn't locate the "Instructions" you mention.  Neither in the field search, or in the Request Type page itself.  Where might that be?

Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2023

Hi @Bruce Anderson _Administrator_ ,

The "Instructions" field should by default be present on every request type. You can not remove or re-locate it.

Snip20230406_27.png

Unfortunately, I don't see another solution for adding text somewhere in the middle of the form. By default this is not possible. 

Maybe you can do something with the 'forms' functionality in Jira Service management. You can add the text a form and add this form to your request. But the form will always be located at the bottom of the form.

The only other solution i see is to look for an AddOn that allows you to change the layout more flexible.

Best regards,

Kris

Bruce Anderson _Administrator_ April 11, 2023

Thanks Kris.

A clear answer is a good answer.  I will look through the addin options.  It looks like there are several that could do it. The difficulty will be finding the best one and testing.  Thanks again.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events