Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom AMA - Getting started with Jira Service Management

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2023

Hi Community,

Emily here from the Jira Service Management Product Marketing Team! I’d like to invite you all to our very first LIVE Getting Started with Jira Service Management Ask Me Anything at 10 AM PST on February 17th.

We know that learning a new tool can come with questions and we want to make sure you feel supported. That’s why we’re bringing together a range of experts to answer all your questions and interests related to getting started on a successful journey with Jira Service Management. 🚀

We have the following experts lined up to answer your questions:

• Head of Technical Product Marketing, IT Solutions, Atlassian

• Cathi Davey Principal Solutions Engineer, Atlassian

• Senior Support Engineer, Atlassian

• Nick Sommerfeld, Atlassian Consultant, Isos Technology

• Romain Pisani, Head of Pre-Sales, North America, Valiantys

Here’s how it works:

• Register for the event here

• Submit your questions below by February 17th

• Upvote others' questions that you find interesting

• Join us at 10 am PST on February 17th, 2023 via your registration link to join the conversation and hear your questions answered live

21 answers

2 votes
Brian Anderson February 14, 2023

Another question regarding the customer portals. 

We currently use it employee wide, and have set each dept portal to "open" so that employees can email issues in without having to invite them to each one. 

We also use this for external customer facing projects as well, and while these are "closed/invite only" portals, the external can browse the other open portals while they are in the Support Centre. 

Is there a way to limit what the invite only customers can see , ie just the portals they are invited to and not other open portals ?

1 vote
Sophia J February 16, 2023

Hey there!

Is it possible to create a custom role within a Jira Service Project that allows the selected user to view a submitted ticket in Jira itself (i.e., not just in the portal), but see/create only the "Reply to Customer" type comments and not the "Internal Note" comments?

Thanks in advance!

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2023

Unfortunately no, comments are bundled into one permission setting for agents but it is a curious question and we’d love to understand the use case more.

It sounds like you may be after request participant and organization features that allow other non-agents to browse their colleagues tickets and add comments to open tickets.

1 vote
Sharon Halpin February 15, 2023

Is the AMA going to be recorded and made available on demand at a later date?

Just in case I can't attend.  Thank you

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @Sharon Halpin - yes, you can find a recording here: https://ace.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-atlassian-ask-me-anything-presents-getting-started-with-jira-service-management-ama/

Let me know if you have any issues accessing the recording.

1 vote
Brian Anderson February 14, 2023

We have moved over from JSM on Prem and having some issues which I am wondering on timelines to resolve

1. Email parsing is really bad. The tables are parsed poorly and end up in large oversized images causing the issues to be visually confusing, particularly when signatures are using tables.  The recent solutions that have been provided do not work with the industry standard email client ( Outlook) , do we know when this will be fixed as it was never an issue in the on prem version ?

2. Canned responses are now missing from the stock JSM Cloud. This is included in all other industry SM solutions , so why was this removed and when will it be added back to JSM Cloud.

Regards

Brian

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023
  1. We definitely understand that this is painful and it is a high priority for us. We don’t have timelines at this point, but this (along with outgoing email notification logs) are the most important things our Email team will be working on for the next few months.

2. This is coming next quarter.

1 vote
Joanne Ryan February 13, 2023

Hi

I hope all is good with you.

Our IT team is very small and we predominantly use vendors to provide general IT, systems/application, and infrastructure support so our in-house team are basically a catch and dispatch.  This requires that we log requests and issues with our vendors systems.

We've grown in size and technical complexity and need a system to easily log, categorise, prioritise and assign tickets to vendors.  Ideally, we want a pass through and update process i.e. Staff log's ticket, inhouse IT support triages and assigns to vendors system, they respond and it updates our ticket.  This will allow minimal administration and a single view for the whole team.

Question 1

The suggested solution online for this was the email this issue plug in.  Is this the best solution?

Question 2

We've been playing with the email this issue and have it working for vendors not using Jira SM.  However, for our two vendors who are using Jira SM we have had problems with their system accepting the user invite as they say they don't have access to do this. 

They were able to set up a new mail handler with rules so we were able to email the issue to them and have their system accept it.  However, our Jira SM doesn't not accept their response/update as our Jira SM doesn't recognise them as a user due to the fact it's using the default mail handler when replying.   Do you have any advice?

Question 3

We noticed that when emailing this issue the supplier's system was not accepting attachments.  Can you confirm if it should allow attachments and how we do this?

Thanks and Kind Regards

Jo

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi Jo - 

This was answered in our live AMA. You can find the zoom recording on this page: https://ace.atlassian.com/events/details/atlassian-atlassian-ask-me-anything-presents-getting-started-with-jira-service-management-ama/

Joanne Ryan February 27, 2023

Heya Emily.  

At the AMA I was told that the best way to achieve this was through webhook and automation.  I've been playing with the system and have been reading up on automation and webhooks, however, I haven't been able to find any clear documentation for my particular use case i.e. sending a ticket to another Jira instance and having it update my system when they update their ticket.  

Just having a quick look I'm wondering if the rules would be similar to the following:

To send issue information to a vendor jira instance I would set up a rule as follows:

Trigger : When Issue Assigned

If Condition : Assignee equals Vendor Name

Then send web request with issue Jira Data.

Then my Vendor would create an automation in their instance such as the following:

Trigger : When incoming webhook

If Condition : Status equals Open.

Create new Issue.

Then to update ticket back to us the Vendor would create a rule such as

Trigger : When Issue Assigned

If Condition : Assignee equals NBS

Then send web request with issue Jira Data.

and our corresponding rule would be :

Trigger : When incoming webhook

If Condition : Status equals In progress.

Edit issue.

Am I on the right track? Are you able to point me in the direction of documentation for my specific use case?  I'd like to be clear on what is needed before testing with one of my vendors.

Thanks

Jo

Cathi Davey
Atlassian Team
February 27, 2023

Hi Jo,

Your second & fourth if conditions likely need to be more specific. Here are two pages that should help:

Something to note, if you're using premium or above, you can also use Assets to store the metadata for those webhook details to help simplify the automation rules. You'd have a vendor object and then their instance details, project key, issue type, anything else of interest, and then use smart values to insert it in your call rather than having to do a long explicit if vendor A, do this, else-if vendor B ... and so on.

Hope this helps,
Cathi

Joanne Ryan March 8, 2023

Heya Cathi

I was able to set up automation/webhooks with the other instance successfully and we were able to create and update tickets. However, we could not get the comments and attachments to update.  

I found a post from 2021 saying automation/webhooks did not allow for comments and attachments.   Can you please confirm if this is still the case? 

If this is not the case can you confirm how we achieve this?

Cheers

Jo

1 vote
Sharon Halpin February 4, 2023

Hello 

First Question:  Option to iFrame Customer Portal (Form only) in website Contact Us Page

JSM provides the option for us to embed a widget in our own websites so why not an option to embed the Customer Portal (form only) into say a 'Contact Us' page?

Benefits:

• keeps customers and website visitors on our own websites but still using the JSM engine. With the preponderance of website scams nowadays customers / visitors get too easily spooked when they find themselves on a totally different website.
  • unlike the widget that seems to be limited to one request type, we'd get all the relevant request types together on the one page.

In my case, the widget, even if it did support multiple request types, clashes in format and position with the 'Live chat' on my websites.

In the meantime, when time permits I'll have a play around with the iFrame idea. The portal form is isolated in a div, most of the css is inline except for one style sheet but I've no idea regarding the list of scripts.  Has anyone done this successfully?

Second Question:  

• Why isn't there an option with the widget for us to choose
    • the modal form or
    • to embed in a webpage as a conventional form?

Note this is a copy of a question I have at:  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/New-to-Jira-Service-Management/Option-to-iFrame-Customer-Portal-Form-only-in-website-Contact-Us/qaq-p/2260594#U2260599

Thank you

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

1. Embedding in non-Atlassian products is on the radar but there are no immediate plans to build this at this time. Instead, we are prioritizing making the portal more customizable.

2. The widget is another area where we have prioritized efforts towards other areas. For example, request forms will be embeddable in Atlassian products soon as part of our Smart Links initiative.

Sharon Halpin February 24, 2023

OK thank you @Emily Dang 

eb October 12, 2023

@Emily Dang we have same request

we want iframed (embed) jsm portal or one Form, this is helpfull. We want in our ERP webapplication offer to customer portal I can name it inwebapp feature instead iframe which is pretty old name. 
today we have « custom url » this is very helpfull but we still can’t iframe our proper URL due to many others «(Amazon) frame-ancestors, can we expect to iframe our proper UrL without being dependent on ansestors frames CSP problems.

Like # people like this
1 vote
John Christensen February 2, 2023

Howdy!

My agency is in the process of procuring JSM. The decision was made a day after an earlier identified JSM Bootcamp began and now I'm struggling to find anything that remotely resembles that particular course. Does Atlassian, or any known affiliates, offer a JSM Bootcamp for those of us with exposure to working in JSM/Jira Software, but no real formal training in setting up or maintaining or optimizing an environment?

We've suffocated ourselves in YouTube videos but its just not the same as an interactive training environment where current best practice and gotcha's are identified.

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @John Christensen - We don't have bootcamp training as such but it is something we are considering.

Currently, our JSM training that's instructor led is ‘Managing Jira Service Projects’ which is good for folks just getting started with configuring JSM.

Atlassian Incident Management Essentials  is good for those who know the basics but want to implement the incident management ITSM features. Service Request Management Essentials is also helpful which does the same for service request management (particularly knowledge management and asset management).

We also now have Asset Management Essentials and Advanced Asset Management Essentials which cover Assets (formerly Insight).

You can see all this training here. We also recently made a huge price drop to many of our paid courses that used to cost hundreds that now only cost $39.

Getting Started Guides:

0 votes
Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi Community, thanks for attending our AMA last week! There were many great questions and simply not enough time. However, our team made sure to answer all questions that we didn't get to during the live webinar.

Question  Answer
Hi all, question for if we get around to it. We are big users of Assets in JSM. We are currently blocked on using Asset custom fields in Halp forms or exposing Assets custom fields to plugins like Refined? Any update on this future work, I think the community ticket is this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-11075 Hi @David Sunter - We’re working on adding support for Oauth2 and JWT authentication in the Asset REST API. This will then allow app developers to expose custom fields as requested.

Hi Ken, please can I ask about the "Component" in Jira software cloud. Do we have a plan to make the component to have different groups for the same project, and then associate these groups with only specific Issue Types. Thank you.

Aloha @Cici He! We’re generally focused on Jira Service Management in this session. Having said that, we do have some plans to bring the “Teams” role across all products which I think might solve your ask.

If you have time to answer a question on 'Customers' and maintaining the list or automatically adding them to their Company when creating the ticket. Currently I have to do a 2nd manual step. This might be something you want to explore to automate assigning the customer to the right organization https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-add-jira-service-management-customers-automatically-to-organisation-based-on-reporter-email-domain-1142450886.html

Assets: I got a objectgroup "Computer" and a group "Software" In the objectgroup "Computer" it is selected wich software is installed on the computer. Is it possible, to link the the information automatically in the Assetobject ex. SoftwareA to see on wich computer it is installed? I already linked the object in an attribute field. but I didn't find the aql to do that. I think this would be the solution.

It would be great, if the "asset field" could be sorted in service desk view. At the moment I write the Server in a Singleselect field with automation, that I can sort the tickets by server (data from asset). Is there an easier possibilty?

On a high level, using a one-to-many reference, from each Computer to multiple Software objects, might be hard to manage.

We usually create (e.g. in Discovery) a Software object for each “instance” of a Software installed on each computer, this way we have more information about the specific Software installed (e.g. version, installation date, path etc.).

That said: In your current configuration, Computer has an OUTBOUND reference to Software, which means the Software has an INBOUND reference from computer.

Each Software will show its INBOUND references on the right hand side panel labled “Inbound references”, showing the object type and count of referencing objects. Clicking the “Computer” link under “Inbound references” will show you all the computers where the current Software object is installed.

We need to understand how you are creating your Computer and Software objects, in order to better suggest the way to link these automatically (e.g. using a CSV import, or an Automation rule will depend on the use case and data available).

Regarding the Assets field - you may use it within the Customer’s Portal in JSM, with an AQL like:
objectType=ComputerThen, in another Asset field, you may state the AQL:
Filter Scope: objectType=Software
Filter Issue Scope: object HAVING inR(objectId = ${customfield_nnnnn.id})

Where customfield_nnnnn is representing the “Computer” customfield with its Id.
Once a Computer is selected, only installed Software can be selected in the Software Asset Field.

Is there a possibility to set up an automated vulnerability mapping by IP of asset, similar to how it’s done in Service Now for all the major V. scanners? Thank you!

I would expect an asset to be found by IP, then Service to be found via asset ownership, and then vulnerability ticket created and assigned automatically to that service.

Using Assets Discovery, you can set up a regular scan of your network, and the resulting data to be imported into your Assets Schema, including IP and much more information about your Network Assets.
You may then select these Assets on a Ticket (using the Asset Custom field), and Automate the required action, e.g. Assign the Ticket based on an Object’s Attribute.
BTW - onPrem Assets has the ability to import vulnerabilities from the CVE DB into Objects. This is not yet available for Cloud.

When will (based on what I’ve read from the Community) custom URLs be available for JSM. This is especially critical for agencies (like ours) that manage requests across multiple products and clients…and some of these clients require a white label approach to their JSM experience…including the domain. Is this still on the roadmap? Thank you Hi @David Malinowicz - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOUD-6999 
 We have Jira Helpdesk tickets which have linked project ticket linked to it. Is there an easy way of displaying the value of specific fields in the linked ticket in the Helpdesk ticket

Hi @Christopher Tomlinson - Easiest would be to add those selected fields into a comment and add them to the related ticket.

Better would be to share those fields (add them to the issue view) across so you can have them displayed natively. You can use automation to keep them in sync as needed.

Is it possible to set up a portal user that has access to all tickets? We are using JSM as an internal ticketing system and want VP's to be able to see all tickets that their team has submitted without having to share with them. Yes, if you don’t want to give them access to the ‘agent view’, you’re next best bet is to add them as a ‘Request Participant’ via automation or manually such that they can see it via the portal.
 We are running JIRA service management and have a need to create a copy of the service management issue in the customer’s JIRA project when development is required. What is the best way to allow communication between two instances of JIRA without opening full access to our JIRA?

Hi @David Gallo - You can use automation to raise (and link) the development ticket without needing to expose projects to all parties. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Automate-Issue-Creation-from-one-JIRA-instance-to-another-JIRA/ba-p/1439079

Hi everyone, if there is time to answer: Is there a concrete timeline in regards to integrating outside Sources via importers into Assests? Such as pulling data from an Azure Directory for example.

Hi @Sina Schwarz - There are various open requests for that (most are logged under this filter).
Many of these integrations are creating a very large number of Objects, and require the infrastructure of a Cloud instance to be able to deal with such a large import and number of objects.

Are there plans in the future for allowing a new administrator of JSM to update all automated rules from the previous administrator so you don't have to update all of them individually?

We are investigating this. Thank you for providing the feedback.

Is there a way to integrate a 3rd party knoweldge base such as a sharepoint document library? or would they need to be imported into confluence?

We recently added a feature for the self service portal that allows for a link out to external resources. May be an option to explore. https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/add-links-to-external-resources-in-your-portal/

There is also the option of integrating or using an app, such as this: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218247/sharepoint-connector-for-confluence?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

Hi, is it possible to add internal comments via automation e.g. from Opsgeine?

Yes - in automation there’s a section called Comment Visibility under the Comment on issue component where you can choose “Share with customer” or “Internal only”.

I work for a consulting firm, and we need to have a variety of clients access their own JSM customer portal. I don't want the clients to see each other’s portal. I currently have a different JSM project set up for each client, but when they go to the portal home page, they can see all the other client portals. What is the best way to set up JSM permissions so the clients can't see each other’s portal?

Hi @David Malinowicz - Check your Project Settings > Customer Permissions. It sounds like you might have your service projects access set to “Anyone allowed on the customer access settings”. You’ll want to update that to “Customers added to this service project only by agents and admins” and then invite the right clients to the right portals.

As for best practices, check out https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management-articles/Choosing-the-right-approach-to-Customer-Management-in-Jira/ba-p/1970761

Also of note, we’re rolling out https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management-articles/A-dedicated-role-for-internal-customers-in-Jira-Service/ba-p/2279244?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_article&utm_content=topic

When you select several issues in a queue and try to do an operation from the quick menu that shows up at the top. You can perform bulk operation even when the agent has no bulk operation permission. Do you know if this kind of operation comes in bulk operation category?

The queue bulk actions are limited and different from the filter bulk actions: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/edit-multiple-issues-at-the-same-time/ which the permission controls. If this did not address your issue, we’d encourage you to contact support to check if something is amiss with the permissions in your environment.

Is there an automation which creates an organazation from email domain of service request of a new customer?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-add-jira-service-management-customers-automatically-to-organisation-based-on-reporter-email-domain-1142450886.html
0 votes
Matt Morris February 17, 2023

Hi there,

I asked this in the AMA but we ran out of time (boo!) but will ask here too:

I've joined an organisation that used Jira Service Desk, I feel like I’m not getting the best of my support system and there's a desire to move systems to a competitor. Before we do that I want to make sure I'm getting the best out of what we have with Jira SD.

Do you guys have anything that can help support me with this? Either training sessions or consultancy or whatever? I want to make sure I leave no stone unturned in getting the best out of what we have.

Thanks,

Matt

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @Matt Morris

An excellent way to get an overview of what’s possible is to start with the I’d recommend you watch the “basic overview of everything” (45m) and then you can dig into the other topics for more.

Our partners are also an excellent option to help you assess where you are today, your needs, and how to get you there. Both Romain’s company, Valiantys, and Nick’s, ISOS, offer services that can help you get the most out of your system.

Contact info:

0 votes
Arielle Unterberger February 17, 2023

Is there a way to fetch the issue's due date and assign the person on-call in OpsGenie on that due date, and not the person on-call at the time the rule is triggered? (We managed to get it working to fetch the person on call at that day).

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @Arielle Unterberger - the Opsgenie API does default to the current date when called but it is an optional query parameter:

It won’t factor in schedule overrides however, since it sounds like you’re assigning when logged, so you may want to wait for the date it is due to assign it using a scheduled rule perhaps looking for due date nearing.

0 votes
Christopher Tomlinson February 16, 2023

Hi there,

Question 1

Time in Status is a good example of an internal report that we could possibly utilise for additional reporting, however this would involve a trial version first. The below message which forms part of the trial version for Time in Status is problematic and will be a stumbling block in preventing us from looking at other Atlassian add on apps as well, if they have the  “We may share you Data to third parties on your request”. 

1a) Why is Atlassian having this message displayed - it prevents us from wanting                     to evaluate add on apps     

1b) In previous years it was not displayed ?

Message displayed

"We do NOT sell or share your data with third parties for their marketing purposes   

WHO has access to your data

OBSS personnel and outsource personnel hired by OBSS will access your Data for running for running

We may share your Data with our subsidiaries or service providers for our                          operational promotional or marketing needs.

We may share your Data to third parties on your request.

We may share your Data with authorities for supporting legal processes.

Your Data might be transferred to a new party as part of sale, merger or                             acquisition of assets that related to our Atlassian products and services"

Question 2    

There does not seem to be an Atlassian Support contact person that a client can             contact. Is this correct? All client issues seems to have to be channelled via                     https://support.atlassian.com/

Thank you

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @Christopher Tomlinson - 

Question 1:

The Atlassian Marketplace is a platform for Atlassian customers to discover, try, and buy apps for Atlassian products. You can use apps to customize and extend your Atlassian product. The Marketplace offers apps developed by both Atlassian and third-party developers. Unfortuantely we do not control the third-party apps such as the one you list. While many do provide free trial periods, it appears not all do.

As far as the security side, you can filter by Cloud Fortified Apps which have participated in our Trust program https://www.atlassian.com/trust/marketplace Note, some Apps may be in the process of becoming verified, so it’s best to read their documentation and contact them for more detail if needed.

Question 2:

If this is in reference to third-party apps, please see above. If this is meant for phone support of Atlassian products, such as Jira Service Management, we do have additional options based on your subscription tier: https://confluence.atlassian.com/support/atlassian-support-offerings-193299636.html

If you are looking more for guidance, our partners are an excellent resource of implementation advice and good practices. 

Both Romain’s company, Valiantys, and Nick’s, ISOS, offer services that can help you get the most out of your system.

Contact info:

0 votes
Joyce Chan February 16, 2023

Q1: Currently only our Project Lead gets email notifications when a new support requests comes through, how can we make sure the entire customer support team gets an email notification on new support requests?

Q2: When responding to a support request via Jira (instead of Outlook) the formatting of our email to the customer is outside of company branding and looks automated (see image below). Is there a way to ensure proper formatting when sending via Jira?

Q3: Given we currently respond to support requests via Outlook and cc the email linked to our Jira Service Management, this created multiple support requests each time we respond within the thread. Is there a way to avoid this and have the outlook responses tracked within the same support request in Jira?

Q4: We noticed the new feature "Similar Requests" to group similar requests in Service Management. Can you share best practices on how to use this in Jira to track progress on the similar requests? Jira Support Response.PNG

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @Joyce Chan - 

Q1: While you could set up notifications across the entire team, you may want to narrow the target list based on criteria within the requests or it can get noisy quickly.

A great way to address this would be taking a service oriented approach and based on the affected service the request concerns, it can notify a targeted group of agents and even narrow it further to those on-call.

Q2: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/change-the-look-and-feel-of-customer-notifications/

Q3: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/allow-external-emails-to-be-added-as-comments-on-issues/

Q4: Currently it surfaces up similar requests for awareness purposes, however you can also use it to automate linking as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkPj9sMgob4

0 votes
Arielle Unterberger February 16, 2023

Is there a way to set up the knowledge base so that some articles are only shown to agents?

An example use case is to use the kb-articles as run-book for certain requests wherein customers cannot self-serve. 

Also, is there a way to fetch the issue's due date and assign the person on-call in OpsGenie on that due date, and not the person on-call at the time the rule is triggered? (We managed to get it working to fetch the person on call at that day).

Thanks!

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @Arielle Unterberger - Yes! Check out this getting started guide: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management/product-guide/getting-started/knowledge-management

You’ll want to look at Space and/or Page permissions https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/what-are-confluence-cloud-permissions-and-restrictions/

You can set them up so that agents (in a user group) can have elevated access to those run-books and will not show up in the portal for self-serve customers, even when they search for them.

0 votes
Isabel (Lisa) Molina February 16, 2023

Is there  a way to set up automation rules without having to use JQL?

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi Isabel - Yes! You can select from all kinds of triggers, criteria and actions without needing to code or use advanced query languages.

Automation Triggers:

0 votes
Tomasz Skarżyński February 16, 2023

Hello,

I'm new to Jira and I have a few questions:

1. How to effectively report the effective working time spent on a customer's request?

2. How best to create reports for an external client, and how for an internal one, e.g. for a supervisor on the work of his subordinates?

3. What communication channels are used for SMS notifications? Do I need any additional license for this?

Regards,

Tomasz

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @Tomasz Skarżyński - 

1. Time Spent can be recorded directly on an issue https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/log-time-on-an-issue/ and rolled up in queues to see total time spent. If you’d like more advanced time and resource tracking capabilities, many Apps can be found in the Marketplace could help, such as Tempo https://marketplace.atlassian.com/vendors/6558

2. For external clients, while you can make dashboards public (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-shared-dashboards/ ) you may want to leverage an app to help manage access. Example: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223898/dashboard-hub-for-jira-custom-charts-share-reports?hosting=cloud&tab=overview For internal agents, managers and teams, you can create dashboards with relevant data for the given audience. You can use smartvalues such as assignee = currentUser() in your filter which will update based on who is viewing.

3. Automation for Jira does have a Twilio SMS option: Twilio action in automation: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-actions/#Send-Twilio--SMS--message and if you are using JSM Premium or above (or Opsgenie), you can take advantage of the included SMS notifications built in for responders: https://support.atlassian.com/opsgenie/docs/send-voice-and-sms-notifications/

0 votes
Michelle OConnor February 15, 2023

We use Jira software and Confluence for our product development and currently leverage a different Incident ticket software our IT Help Desk uses.  We are researching moving our BA/DEV support ticketing to Jira Service Management.  Our current model does not require users to visit a portal or webpage to submit requests - it can be done by submitting an email.

I've done some initial review and testing but have been unable to confirm JSM will meet our internal business needs.  My questions are:

Question 1: We have 2 units with our department (Unit A and Unit B) and would like to have one Queue for new incidents/tickets and then triage the ticket to Unit A or Unit B as appropriate, keeping all incidents within the JSM project.  Is this possible to assign to sub-departments/teams? 

Question 2: Building off Question 1, we would like to report on the ticket activity assigned to the different units.  For example, how many tickets were assigned to Unit A in Q3-2022?   What was the average resolve resolution time compared to defined SLAs?

Question 3: Our current workflow allows staff to email a custom department email, automatically creating a ticket in the system.  The current system in turn sends out an email to a defined group, notifying us a new ticket has been submitted.  Is it possible to have the system 'notify' select individuals when a ticket has been submitted?

Question 4: As mentioned above, we utilize the same ticketing system as our IT Help Desk.  A second workflow for submitting tickets to our team is the user contacts the Help Desk directly.  The Help Desk then assigns the ticket to our team in the shared system.  Does Jira Service Management support reassignment or emailing a ticket to an external party (e.g. our Help Desk)

Question 5: Tested submitting a ticket to the Jira Service Management Project unique email. Ticket came into the system.  Tested "Reply to Customer" but I did not receive a response back in my personal email as I would have expected.  

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

1 & 2: While we don’t have an out of the box “team assignment” field, you could create a responsible team or support team custom field and leverage that to triage and direct the queues. You could also use the assignees as part of teams, if you have them organized that way, or if teams own certain services, or tiers of services, really anything in the ticket. Whatever you decide to use, you can then use that field in the reports and dashboards.

3: In addition to the default customer and team notifications , you can also use Automation for Jira to send emails based on your specified criteria and triggers.

4: Automation can also help here, raising a linked ticket or sending an email/web request to a third party system.

5: If you are in Cloud:

If you are in Data Center:

0 votes
Sharon Halpin February 15, 2023

Are there going to be any improvements to the integration of JSM into our websites?

I own and run a dozen or so small businesses in various different verticals mainly DTC.
Each has its own custom built website complete with inbuilt knowledge base and FAQs with the attendant SEO benefits.

Therefore I don't want or need the customer portals part of JSM (unless it can be iFramed into a 'Contact Us' page - see post above).

Although I have Confluence premium it is not needed in relation to Confluence as knowledge bases are baked into the existing websites. 

I  only want the Agent backend of JSM.

I was hoping that the widget would have the facility to be embedded into say a contact us page as a multipurpose form with conditional logic.  i.e.

• Name
  • Email
  • Request Type - dropdown field to select the 'request type'
  • Depending upon which 'request type' is selected determines which set of conditional logic fields are displayed.
  • Submit - posts the form field contents to the appropriate 'request type / queue' and creates an issue in JSM.

Is this something that may be introduced and if so any idea of when.

Unfortunately, JSM in its current format is not going to a feasible option for me.

Thank you.

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi @Sharon Halpin - this question was answered during our live Zoom AMA. You can view the full recording here: 

Event Recording: Video Conferencing, Web Conferencing, Webinars, Screen Sharing

Passcode: J0dr.yMu

Like Sharon Halpin likes this

Thank you @Emily Dang 

0 votes
Pataki László February 14, 2023

Hi,

We need to allow our clients to set the priority level in the client portal,
but presently the client portal does not permit to set this parameter by the client.
Are you planning to implement this feature in the near future?

kind regards

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

While you could allow clients to set priority by adding it to the request screen, we’d recommend looking at allowing them to set urgency (how soon they need it addressed) which will then factor into your priority values.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/automatically-prioritize-incident-requests/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/create-an-automation-rule-to-prioritize-your-service-desks-incident/

0 votes
Chirag Patel February 13, 2023

Hi,

We recently started using the Atlassian confluence for our documentation purpose. We really need to know when "Public Links" feature is available again which is not available since this current month FEB 2023. Its really needed to share the document publicly.

Regards

~CPP 

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Hi Chirag - Work has begun and we’re hoping to have it completed in the next quarter or two.

Chirag Patel February 24, 2023

Thanks @Emily Dang  

0 votes
Mohamed Bah February 8, 2023

Bonjour!

1 Pouvez vous m'expliquez le processus pour mettre en place une gestion de services de demande sous Jira service management ?

2. Comment configurez deux types de workflows actifs pour un même projet avec Jira service management??

3. Quels sont les rapports et tableaux de bord que vous recommandez?

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023
0 votes
Sharon Halpin February 4, 2023

Hello - more of a feature request than question but whilst I'm here :-)

Option to supply our own HTML/CSS templates for the Portal pages
(the part that surrounds the white JSM content form)

Currently the available 'branding' options are limited to:

• logo icon - too small to be the actual logo
  • corporate colours - or rather a single colour.

Why can't we have the option to supply our own html/css templates

• If you provided a base template as a guide for us to work from

The object being to match corporate identity, as far as possible, of the JSM portals to our  websites.

Thank you

Emily Dang
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2023

Customer’s supplying their own HTML/CSS is something we generally avoid because it is extraordinarily brittle and can negatively affect performance. We actually did try this once in Confluence and quickly rolled it back for these reasons.

Having said that, we are working with a number of marketplace partners, such as Refined to help them understand our forms structure and to render it themselves using their own CSS/HTML styles. This work is scheduled to come to fruition in Q3 of this year.

@Emily Dang  thank you for the explanation and yes I see your point re the html/css. 

But what about extending the branding options.  The option to add a full sized logo and not just the favicon would be good for starters.

As I'm planning to do as many Atlassian University courses as possible I'm avoiding marketplace add-ons and keeping everything vanila on all Atlassian products.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events