Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSM OOB vs Customization

ITSM today can call for some complexity with all of our amazing technology and Saas products. Atlassian Jira Service Management leaves it pretty open for us to configure it how we want and add so much automation and complexity. One of the things I have noticed in my career is that I have come into so many business with complexity and sometimes a mess and found that getting them back to an out of box (OOB) experience can help to simplify work streams and process in most cases.

There will always be the outliers that need the high octane full velocity approach as their workflows and systems are very complex but there will always be those screaming help me get back to simple.

I tend to ask clients and friend about their environment to gather information about how things are working. I think its important to know if it works it works. Let it keep working. But if its not working we should do something about that.

Complexity and automation are not always are friend. As business has turn over and less experience users this is where it usually gets hard with complexity and going back to basics helps.

So I always find the OOB experience to be most helpful as you can build on that. So sometimes starting over and being simple will lead to new innovations and better ways of work.
When I open a fresh JSM project a few of the things I change or update are component field, Operational Categorization field, and Product Categorization field. I think these simple updated can make a big difference for a team and without adding complexity. It also adds affirmation of how that team works operationally and what products they support.

So in my experience and opinion the OOB will always help capture something that complexity and customization doesn't. What is that you ask? just ease of use and simple way of working.

I hope you find this article useful in the most simple way. If complexity and automation are making the team frustrating trying starting over with a more simple approach. It works for me many times. So this is the advice I can offer to the Atlassian community and our awesome Jira users from my experience and learning.

Respectfully,
A A RON

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events