4 New Form Automation Components for Jira Service Management

Forms capture data. But forms don’t do the work of getting that data to the people who need it most.

We’re excited to announce that there are four new Automation components to help you take your Form game to another level:

Form Automation is available as a single Project Automation and is not a Global Automation.

Trigger: Form submitted

FA Forms submitted trigger.png

Condition: Forms attached

FA Forms attached condition.png

Action: Copy forms

FA Copy forms action.png

Action: Attach forms

FA Attach forms action.png

Check out the new form automation components

FA Form automation rule builder.png

You can find these new Automation components in Jira Service Management by visiting Project Settings > Automation > Create rule.

What’s next?

The form automation components are now available to 100% of Jira Service Management customers.

We’ll be updating a bunch of forms use cases here on the Community to include more automation rules. In the meantime, watch the video above for an overview of the new automation components. Then start building your new rules!

What do you think? Share your feedback!

Questions? Leave us a comment below or join the conversation in the Forms Group.

22 comments

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2022

This is awesome. Will these components be available for free or standard Jira plans?

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2022

This is great, nice to see forms getting more integrated into JSM.

tommy May 4, 2022

Thanks, Peter! This is going to be a huge help for our team's adoption of forms.

David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

Looking forward to testing those new automations, thanks!
At the moment I cannot find them on my Standard and Free JSM plans.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2022

Thank you!

Willy G May 9, 2022

These are great automations! Thanks!

One thing I noticed, is the documentation says we can copy to regular Jira projects. It doesn't appear that this is possible. (I only receive JSM projects as an option) We are on Cloud.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/copy-a-form-to-another-project/

Like Ana Galofre Smith likes this
Natalya Ozhigova May 11, 2022

It's interesting. I'll keep it on my mind to apply it to some my projects. Many Thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2022

Very nice!!

Jelle Hutting June 27, 2022

Great, work! Very helpful. @Peter Preston , is a reopen form trigger on the backlog for form automations? I could really use that.

Like # people like this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2022

Oops! I didn't check for comments on this post. My fault everyone. 

From the top:

@Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ the automation components are available in free and standard plans

@Willy G the new forms have not rolled out to Software or Work Management projects for all users yet. Forms are available to all JSM customers. If you have a need for forms in Software or Work Management projects you might be able to get forms turned on if you contact support (but you didn't hear that from me ;) 

@Jelle Hutting we have talked about changing form states using automation, so yes this is on the backlog. I can't say when it will be addressed, though. I'll add a link to your comment on the internal ticket

Loran Hauserman July 21, 2022

Are there any workarounds ATM without automation? (or updates on release date?)

I have 10+ forms so that we can report internal issues (bugs, blockers, tech debt, production alerts, ect.)

I was hoping to use a single project, and use Automation to add a tag for which Form the issue originated from. I don't see anything tying issues to the originating Form? Seems like automation will solve this easily, but anything that can be configured in the mean time without creating a custom field that the users selects each time? (Not a fan of that solution as each of our forms are different)

Like Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2022

Hi @Loran Hauserman and welcome to the Community.

Not sure if this addresses the problem head on, but could you use the automation trigger "When: Forms submitted" and automation action "Edit issue fields" to add a label to the issue? 

Ana Galofre Smith September 21, 2022

@Peter Preston  Hi there! We have a great customer who build out a VERY complex use case using over 35 forms in JSW and automation using Proforma and Legacy Automation. Now, they have done the work to convert all to new, integrated "forms" but we cannot migrated the Legacy Automation rules to new automation as they are only available for JSM. It is a repeatable, enterprise process so we cannot ask/instruct the users to go to "..." the "Actions Menu" then type "add form" and select the correct form. It would be quite simple if we could use Automation for forms in JSW; any idea when that is coming? My client needs to do a demo to their VP and either has to rebuild everything in regular screens/field layout or tell them it's coming soon.

Like Kelly Nezwek likes this
Daniyal Anas November 3, 2022

I'm loving it so far!

Could use some help with passing a complete form from one project to another using automation for jira. The subsequent issues are created, but the form doesn't carry over from the source/trigger issue =/

QQ for the Community

I'm presently crafting an onboarding solution for my organization which includes HR/IT/Facilities - I'm hoping to use a single form that is to be submitted by the hiring manager as the single of source of truth distributed to the various other projects (HR, IT, FAC).

Envisioning the automation rule to function something like this (See below), but it for whatever reason isn't carry the Form from the trigger issue into the other distributed issues. Would love everyone's feedback! TYIA!

When: Forms submitted
Forms: HR Onboarding Form

Condition: Issue Type equals Onboarding Task | HR

Then: Create a new

...Issue in Project IT

For Most recently created issue

- Then: Copy forms

Forms: HR Onboarding Form

from

Trigger Issue

Thanks again!

DA

automation rule ua.JPG

Like Kalin U likes this
Warren Selby December 22, 2022

@Peter Preston is there a way to automatically set the form to internal only? Either via automation, or when attaching the form to the issue / request type in JSM? Right now, when we create a new request from a Form, it's defaulting to External visibility. Is it possible to default this (or change it via Automation) to Internal, similar to the "Make Internal" button that our technicians have? 

Like John Funk likes this
Brianna Burdett February 6, 2023

I know I've seen these options with forms in my automation rules options previously, however, I'm not finding them there today when I need them. Have they disappeared? 

Like # people like this
Gyrall Ganicz February 28, 2023

I also can't seem to find these (but were visible before), have these been removed? 

Like # people like this
Chris Schneider
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2023

I need to be able to change the state of a form from Automation and/or as a post function within a workflow.

Use case: Customer uses form to create issue. After that, the form should not be editable - unless it is in a certain state -> the user did an error or should update the form.

Like John Funk likes this
Tyler Kosaski
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2023

I also cannot find these and assume they have been removed.

Bernd Gurn September 11, 2023

Same for me - cannot find in the automation. Do i need to update to a certain version? Could it be only for the Cloud-Version be available?

Mark Edwards
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2023

The Form automation is available as a Project Automation and is not a Global automation. I have updated the page to clarify that. 

Rachana Kandlagunta February 12, 2024

Hi - Is it possible to automate checkboxes and dropdowns inside a form?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events