Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Automation: How do I tag the Reporter of an Issue without knowing their username?

Marwan Osman December 5, 2019

I have an Automation Rule (built-in Service Desk Automation, not Automation for Jira) that adds a Public Comment on a Request after pre-determined amounts of time and I would like to be able to tag the Reporter dynamically for each Request.

Example:

EXP-1

Hi accountid:reporter.accountId, this ticket has been waiting for further information from you. Please respond.

The text after "Hi" is actually a hyperlink: [ ~accountid: reporter.accountId ]

I want to be able to tag the Reporter without having to type their username into the Automation Rule's comment configuration.

How can I do this?

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2019

hmmm....I havent tested it in automation, but I do know that you can do @Reporter or @assignee in comments and it returns the actual usernames. May be worth a try.

That actually doesn't work for me :/ 

Are you doing this in Service Desk via the Agent view?

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2019

Capture.PNG

Okay, I see, I can see that when I myself try to tag someone, but that does not work in Automation Rules because it is an on-demand selection. If I do that in Automation Rules, it just shows up as '@reporter' without actually linking to anyone.

Greenshot 2019-12-05 14.38.36.png

Hamdy Atakora February 7, 2020

@Marwan Osman  you do not need to know theior name. You can just call it by using this [~{{reporter}}]

{{reporter}} = Reporter Username

~[] = Tags the user

I have tested it and it works

Like # people like this
Marwan Osman February 7, 2020

Thank you so much @Hamdy Atakora you rock!

Felipe March 12, 2020

I am trying to do the same but I get: [~] on the output. Any ideas?

Hamdy Atakora April 20, 2020

@Felipe  what are you entering. can you please attach a screenshot?

Alexandra Stan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 23, 2022

@edwin vasquez  hey there. got to a new company and it seems that Jira here doesn't provide any results when adding @reporter or @assignee, do you happen to know any reason for this or if this can be enabled? tried looking for about a week everywhere but I can't seem to find it. 

6 votes
Andy Creech July 28, 2020

I have been working with Automation for Jira that Atlassian recently bought to replace the service desk automation on Cloud.

Just tested that in this newer automation tool (Setting --> System --> Automation Rules) to @mention the reporter it is:

[{{reporter.displayName}}|~accountid:{{reporter}}]

Hope that helps you all. 

Mustafa Slatewalla May 21, 2021

this worked for me.. thanks !! 

Steve Playford
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 16, 2021

This works :-)

KC Burney
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 18, 2022

Thank you so much! This worked for me as well.

2 votes
Objects (Jira Admin)
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 15, 2020

For Jira Cloud, I have experimented following and works perfectly.

[{{reporter.displayName}}|~accountid:{{reporter.accountId}}]!

It displays the username in a comment and links it accordingly.

Thanks, @Hamdy Atakora 

1 vote
Aashutosh Kumar September 28, 2020

Hi,
I tried all answers as given option.
None of them Worked.
I want to tag the Reporter when Status changes to Waiting for Customer.
Jira Service Desk 8.10 Data Center.

tag User.PNG

1 vote
Marwan Osman February 7, 2020

Credit to @Hamdy Atakora :

you do not need to know their name. You can just call it by using this [~{{reporter}}]

{{reporter}} = Reporter Username

~[] = Tags the user

I have tested it and it works

THANK YOU!

Tom Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2020

Hi @Marwan Osman @Hamdy Atakora 

Thanks for sharing this. Looks like it almost works for me. But I only get ‘User’ and the hyperlink takes me to UNKNOWNUSER. The user it should be tagging is a member of the Service Desk. 

any ideas? Or experienced this yourselves? 

105F3BFD-E114-4808-ABEE-F8966C53C96D.jpeg

Jay Chapani July 29, 2020

Not working for me in the Jira service desk cloud. Any idea?

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 10.59.23 PM.png

Tom Williams
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2020

@Jay Chapani 

try this

[{{reporter.displayName}}|~accountid:{{reporter}}]
Andy Creech July 30, 2020

Hi @Jay Chapani, atlassian has also confused things. They quielty bought Code Barrels' Automation for Jira, BUT they left their Service Desk hald baked Automation tool available. 

I try out the new tool under Settings --> System --> Automation rules. 

The two tools are going to have different behavior because of how they are coded divergently. My suggestions below works for the new tool only, as far as I know. 

Jay Chapani July 30, 2020

@Tom Williams  -  Same result no luck.

@Andy Creech -  I am using Service Desk automation.

Marwan Osman July 30, 2020

Now that Atlassian bought Code Barrel's Automation for Jira, is it free or do we still have to pay a subscription for it?

0 votes
Karim ANOUCHE
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 1, 2023

Hi, 

Do you have a solution for Jira server? I have the same issue ! 

thx

0 votes
Marwan Osman December 9, 2019

Seems like unfortunately this cannot be done in Service Desk's project Automation rules.

Amy C April 20, 2020

same for me

Hamdy Atakora April 20, 2020

JIra SDk cloud or server?

Amy C April 21, 2020

With JSD Server, I tried everything...

comment auto.png

Hamdy Atakora July 30, 2020

@Amy C , @Felipe , @Marwan Osman 

Here is how you do it [{{reporter.displayName}}|~accountid:{{reporter.accountId}}]

It is different in cloud

Like Yash Goyal likes this
Amy C August 5, 2020

Hello,

Doesn't work for me.

Regards.

Hamdy Atakora August 5, 2020

@Amy C are you on Jira Service Desk server or Cloud. I have tested this on cloud and i can confirm that it works.

The key is finding it out what a tagged name in a comment box is represent like in Markdown. And the rest is easy in Automation. 

See attached here for the recording

Like Łukasz Mainka likes this
Amy C August 5, 2020

JSD Server

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events