Is there a way to automatically set approver based on custom field values of request? Edited

we have a custom field which is the list of our teams. is there a way to set approver of the issue based on the chosen item of the custom field.

P.S

i tried automation rules, but couldn't find SET APPROVER on action list items.

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi @Parham,

Like Paulo said, one solution is to use an add-on like Power Scripts. With a few lines of code, you can easily and quickly set approver based on custom field values of request.

We've put together a short 4 min video showing how to set this up and execute. We've also included the sample script we used, so you can just copy and paste to test it yourself.

Hope this helps!

Johnson

thank you Johnson, it was very helpful.

Hi,

I have used this script in the change workflow at the create stage but the approval email is not triggered. Have tried all possible variations but no luck. It successfully sets the approver but the mail is not triggered. When I set the approver manually it triggers the mail. If you could offer any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dermot

Susan Hauth Community Champion May 23, 2018

Hi Dermot,

Mine works when I use a script.  It's just important that I put the script not as the last item in the post-script events.  Where did you place yours?

S

Hi Susan,

I got it going using the workflow toolbox (you suggested this in another post from me btw thanks!). I tried the script in every possible sequence in the post function to no avail. It's all working as expected now.

Thanks!

Dermot

Paulo Hennig Atlassian Team Nov 23, 2017

Hi, Parham.

Unfortunately, this is not possible to achieve without a customization or a specific 3rd party plugin that can proceed with that. But notice that it's possible to have a pre-selected list of your approvals, so if this custom field that you've mentioned is a "User Picker" type, you can navigate through your project configuration and on "Request Types", you can add this field there as hidden and an option will appear for you to set a list of users there.

I'm not sure how your workflow works exactly, but I believe you can customize it according to my statement ahead and maybe have more than 1 approval field. 

Susan Hauth Community Champion Dec 01, 2017

Hi Parham,

I do it with a post-function script (using Scriptrunner). 

Susan

Hi Susan, can you please help me on my problem .

I want to create a simple post function on JIRA Service Desk that automatically sets the Approvers Field based on the requestor's manager. could you provide me some suggestions, or even sample code? thanks

Susan Hauth Community Champion Sep 11, 2018

Hi alvin,

One simple way would be to keep the requestor's manager in a user property, then just copy it to a field.  I've done that in the past.

Susan

Thanks Susan, I already achieve it.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 13, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

Jira Service Desk – Don’t be afraid, the journey begins with curiosity!

...be more productive while being fun to use at the same time. For some, getting started can be a bit intimidating. This is especially true if Jira Service Desk is your first exposure to Atlassian...

10,722 views 9 28
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you