showing tasks in the active sprint board?

Ahmed Alghamdi September 11, 2017

when i view the sprint active board, i only see user stories and their sub-tasks. but I can not see any tasks which are linked to those user stories, or any clarification tickets linked to them. is there a way to show those tickets in the board? perhaps to add the sprint board along each ticket is one way, but it wont show the tickets under related story, rather list them randomly !

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2017

Hi Ahmed

What you're describing is standard expected behaviour from Jira. Just because a task is linked to an issue in the current sprint, doesn't mean it is necessarily being worked on and doesn't need to be in the sprint.

The only way to show an item (task or otherwise) is to bring it into the sprint, but as you say it won't be grouped with it's linked issue.

To achieve what you're wanting, I can only advise you to move the linked task to be a subtask of the issue, then it would be in the sprint and would show where you're expecting it to.

I hope this is clear

Warren

Ahmed Alghamdi September 11, 2017

I see! 

correct me if i'm wrong, I think all type of tickets that are being worked on should be part of the sprint, right? or shall we have only the user story and its subtasks? like what about the bugs raised during development, what about some enhancement, or clarification or tasks tickets that the team consume their time to get back to? it should still be part of the active sprint (likely the team will be creating those during the sprint) so the burndown chat will look interesting a bit as new tickets are added ?

Thanks Warren

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2017

Yes, I like to have all work that a team is doing during the sprint, added to the sprint. All known items are added during sprint planning, but unexpected items (bugs, expedited issues) will be added during the sprint. Aim to keep these to a minimum

0 votes
Benoit GOBERT February 8, 2018

I have the same concern for tasks abd sub-tasks, as with the current set of user stories we are creating we are never sure that all the sub-tasks of the user story could be included in the Sprint at sprint planning time, as such we rather wanted to create tasks to be linked to the user story and add them case by case at Sprint planning time.

But in that case we do not see the tasks under their user story in the Sprint view.

What could you propose us to do then?

Many thanks in advance for your help on this issue !!

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2018

Hi Benoit

I'm not totally sure what you're describing / asking.

Are you saying that if you have a story with a number of sub-tasks, when you add the story to a sprint, you're then not sure if Jira has included all the sub-tasks in the sprint?

Linking issues is meant to be used when 2 different issues somehow relate to each other, so that people are aware that one may have an effect on the other. It could mean that you do one issue in sprint 1 and the other in sprint 14 - when you get to sprint 14, there's a reminder that the first one may be relevant. Linking is NOT meant so that Jira knows they're going to be worked on in the same sprint.

So could you rephrase your question / concern so that I can better understand it please?

Like vidya ladda likes this

Suggest an answer