When a sub-task is moved from Not-started to In progress, it automatically gets assigned to the person that performs the update in jira

Debraj Neogi June 15, 2015

For one of our projects, we have the following behavior in place:
1. a sub-task is assigned to person A and it's not-started
2. the scrum master, person B, check status, and notices some sub-tasks were not updated and performs the changes by himself. When he moves the sub-tasks from not-started to in progress, the task gets assigned to the person who performs the change instead of leaving it to the person who was initially assigned to it (person A). 

Is this the expected behavior? Can we change it so the assignee value remains the same irrespective of who moves it across the status?

Thanks.

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2015

When it was Greenhopper, there was a setting to do that, but I thought it was global, not tied to a project. You should check that. I don't have agile installed now.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2015

I think it used to be an option, but I am not sure it is in Agile any more. It certainly isn't a board option. Perhaps if you use the simplified workflow? Not sure.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2015

Yes, you can change this. Your workflow must have been designed with this in mind, as it is an option that can be chosen.

In your workflow, likely on the Start Progress Transition, someone has applied the following post-function:

image2015-6-15 9:44:37.png

Removing this will not assign the issue when someone triggers the Start Progress transition.

Suggest an answer