Status of Issues?

Mike Sebastian October 8, 2019

Hi! I don't know if this is possible but I’m looking for a simple status solution, the status of a single issue. I can see how long an issue is in a status / column; and with some research I can guess. But stakeholders would like to see a % complete.

I seem to recall a field for percent complete when I downloaded our issues to CSV but I don’t see the % complete field in our issues; apparently hidden by our administrators? Is something like this possible in Jira, or possibly in Excel?

The columns on our board are –

• In Progress
  • Dev Complete
  • In Testing
  • Testing
  • Blocked / Hold
  • Done

3 answers

0 votes
Julia Denys _SaaSJet_ October 20, 2019

Hello @Mike Sebastian

I am not sure if you can see the complete percentage field in your issues directly in Jira, but I guess you can download the issue report and calculate what you need in excel.

With Time in Status for Jira Cloud, you can customize the columns and the statuses and later export the data as XLSX or CSV file and use it for further analysis.

If you are planning to build charts based on the data you exported, you can simply view it directly in the application by switching the grid to charts (pie/bar/area), I think this option will help you to visualize the progress you're making. You can also export chart reports.

There is a variety of reports you could generate besides simple Time in Status - Assignee Time, Average Time, Status Entrance Date, Time in Status per Date, Status Count, and Transition Count.

Hope, this will help you

0 votes
Mike Sebastian October 10, 2019
  • I don't have any in front of me but I recall something like percent complete. but I only see it when I export to a CSV file. I don't see anything like that in a jira ticket.
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

If you get me the file I can tell you where does it come from. I can ensure that it's not related to what you need and you will need to consider the options I mentioned on top to get that type of report.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

Hello Mike,  the percentage that you mention might be related to the estimated hours and time spent on the task rather than the task status.  About ways to do what you need? I would explore making it at EazyBI which allows you to build complex reports and have all in a pretty output, else Time in Status might be enough to export the information to an excel and do the math over there.

Mike Sebastian October 9, 2019

Thanks Hernán! Right now the developers aren't entering percentage complete in Jira, there are no fields to enter that; I only see that field when I export issues to CSV.  Doesn't sound like this is possible in native Jira, and I also need to ask our Jira team to enable us to use that field - right?

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2019

They don't. Let's say they estimate an hour for a task on the estimated time field. Then they log 20 mins to it. There you have a progress of 33% that they didn't add but got calculated based on their input. Do you have the column name of the csv that shows percentage? I'm guessing that's the case based on the input I have 

Suggest an answer