How to create a subtask?

Nadine Racine September 5, 2019

We have a business project where we can create sub-tasks within an issue.

For our Scrum projects we now want to add this as well. I've added the Sub-Task type to the corresponding Issue-Type screen. If I am then at the issue and want to create a sub-task there, I am not given this option.

Which step did I forget?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2019

Hi @Nadine Racine

Running through the steps - this is one way to activate sub-tasks if they're not there by default:

• Open up your Project Settings for the project you want to add sub-tasks to
  • Select Issue Types from the left-hand menu
  • Select Action > Edit issue types
  • Move the sub-task issue type into the left-hand column (Issue Types for Current Scheme) and press Save

^ This should add sub-tasks to that scheme, impacting that project and any other project using the scheme. Remember you can only create sub-tasks from within a Story using the 3-dot options button not through the main "Create" button.

Another thing to remember is if you were viewing an issue on that project prior to the changes, refresh the page before trying to add a sub-task.

Let us know if these steps don't resolve the issue :)

Nadine Racine September 5, 2019

Thanks for the quick answer.

Just as I had thought, it was just a small adjustment that I had been missing.

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2019

Awesome, glad it worked!

Like Nadine Racine likes this
Deleted user September 13, 2019

Hi, for some reason this isn't working for me. I can get to the Issue Types but there's no Edit issue types in the menu. There is Add Issue Type but that will only let you create a custom issue type. 

The scheme the project uses has Sub-tasks enabled, I just can't seem to find a way of adding that issue type to the project. Only thing I can think is this answer isn't for next-gen projects?

Thanks

Neal

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2019

Hi @[deleted]

This is for classic projects - for Next-Gen, sub-tasks should be active by default.

To add a sub-task to a story:

• Locate one of your Next-Gen stories and click to open the detail view
  • Near the top of the page are the grey action buttons - one is "Add a child issue" - click this
  • This will activate a line on the issue to add a sub-task - which you can create and then click into to detail further 

Let me know if you run into any issues :)

Ste

Deleted user September 13, 2019

Hi Ste, thanks for the response. It makes sense now. Having 'grown up' with Classic it's tricky to get my head round the new interface but the approach works fine.

All good, appreciate your help.

Neal

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2019

Not a problem - there can be a little bit of learning curve moving from classic > new.

I've found the best way to learn is to create a "test" project and simply - click everything. It means you can try all the new functionality as it is released and see how it differs to your previous experience!

Ste

Suggest an answer