How to Set some fields as read only after submit an issue?

linqiang December 6, 2012

As a Jira administrator, our process requirement is below:

Jira user add an issue, then following process step should'nt change any the original fields which the first user filled even the issue iniator?

thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2012

I wouldn't worry about the behaviours plugin, you can do it without that

Look at the "screen schemes" and set up a "create" screen which contains all the fields, and then have the "edit" screen exclude them. People won't be able to change the original fields.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2014

How about the inplace-edits?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2014

As I said, don't put them on the "edit" screens.

Jira only allows in-place edit on fields that are on the "edit" screen.

Nasrin February 2, 2015

I don't have separate screens for create and edit

Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2015

Hi. If I remove the fields from "edit" screen they aren't shown in issue view anymore.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2015

That suggests that you are using the same screen for edit and view. Separate them out. Same for the previous comment - you need separate screens for create and edit. Copy the existing one, then change the issue type screen scheme so it uses the new screen for edit and change that copy.

Mario Günter
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2015

Hi Nic, thank you. I got it... I mixed 'em up...

Nasrin February 3, 2015

Thank You.. I have separated the screen for edit and create.. then removed unwanted fields from edit screen.. working fine..

0 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2012

Just have a look at the Behaviours Plugin. You can make fields read only using this plugin.

You may like to read the documentation here. Hope this helps.

linqiang December 6, 2012

thanks.

i prefer create screen schemes, but if the issue initator want to edit, it also cann't editable,

the Behaviours Plugin cannot linked the readonly with workflow steps/transition, it only link certain roles.

any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2012

Your original question said that no-one should be able to edit the fields after initial creation.

But that's still possible with screen schemes, as long as you're happy with a slightly ugly hack.

Basically, you move "edit" into the workflow. Do what I said already, but then add a third screen to the system, one that includes all the fields you want to edit (you could just use the "create" screen for this of course). Then, go into the workflow, and on each step, add a transtion that loops back to the same step. Use the new screen for the transition. Finally, put "conditions" on the transition - the one you need to begin with is "only the reporter of the issue can do this transition"

linqiang December 9, 2012

Great, that works.

thanks you.

Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2014

This doesn't seem to prevent the user from adding attachments. If Attachments isn't in the Edit screen, they still have other mechanisms to make attachments from the View screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2014

Correct. Attachments is not a field, it's a way of attaching files.

Attachment rights are controlled at a project level, by permissions.

Suggest an answer