How do you re-assign a subtask to a different story?

Deleted user February 12, 2013

Keeping the same sub-tasks, need to create new story for the subtask to live under w/o deleting and re-creating the story.

5 answers

4 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2013

Hi Bruce,

You can simply "move" the sub-tasks to a new parent/Story. In each of the sub-tasks, go to more actions > move, then select change parent.

Hope it helps,

Deleted user February 17, 2013

Hi, thank you. I looked at what I was dealing with and the item is listed as a task and not a subtask, so I'll rephrase my question: How does one turn a task into a subtask and assign a parent task?

Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 17, 2013

Bruce, that's really simple. Create the parent first (if you don't have it yet), then open the task, click on more actions > convert to sub-task. You'll be prompet to a screen where you'll be able to select the parent for that subtask, and it's done. :)

Wayne Erfling September 25, 2017

There is no ""move" menu in my Jira, and therefore no "change parent".

What permission is required, or... if the methodology has changed, how is it done now (Septemeber, 2017)?

Like Alvaro Santisteban likes this
Patrick Oliveras October 5, 2017

Same here as Wayne Erfling. Has this feature been removed?

Like James Gilliland likes this
WRC December 11, 2017

Hi !

I try to move a sub-task to another parent, but an error occurs:
"Subtasks cannot be moved".

It is a configuration? Any help ... 

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

Do you have create, move and edit permission in both the source and target projects?  (I say "Projects" to cover the assumption that you're trying to move from one project to another with this move)

WRC December 12, 2017

Hi Nic,

I trying to perform this in same project, just from an issue to another.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

I think you'll need to read the log file for the time you get the message.

5 votes
Answer accepted
Rakesh Nambiar March 2, 2018

Hi all,

I found an alternative.

1. Select the sub-task and choose 'Convert to issue'

2. Select the category 'Unclassified' while converting

3. Now the item is independent and you can convert to sub-task and map whichever story you want.

Hope this help.

Sandeep Karun July 8, 2018

I am voting up this although it is not straight fwd - i wish Atlassian doesnt change some fundamental features. Well found Rakesh and thanks!

None of the above solutions seems to work for me - There is no ""move" menu in my Jira.

Like Herberth Alvarado likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

You don't need "move", you need "convert to issue".  Atlassian are unlikely to change anything here, because it's working fine.

Rakesh's mention of "unclassified" is irrelevant, it's just something in that particular Jira that probably isn't in yours.

Sandeep Karun July 9, 2018

I agree "unclassified" is not necessary.

From earlier comments I understand there was a "Move" and you just had to choose new parent (dated 2013, with 10+ votes).

A one step "convert to issue" is not sufficient, will have an additional step to "convert to subtask".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2018

You don't have to convert to an issue and then back to a sub-task to change the parent.

When you use "move" on a sub-task, it will ask you if you want to change the issue type or the parent issue. 

chris August 19, 2019

AWESOME!!! Yet another REALLY roundabout way to get something done in Jira because Jira is so incapable. Thanks for the workaround... saved me tossing my laptop out the window in my ongoing frustration with Jira

Like # people like this
Layaa Veeravalli May 4, 2021

Move option is not seen for me either. Maybe it has got to do with permissions. Would like to know if there is some tab where I can check the permissions disabled for me and request for same to my project admin(not for the account I am using to comment here though)

Hence this work around was the next best thing instead of deleting and creating new tasks.

Like Rakesh Nambiar likes this
Rakesh Nambiar May 4, 2021

@Layaa Veeravalli  I think you need to have both EDIT and MOVE permission for your user group. You can go to the permissions page by navigating:  Settings > Administraction (Your project) > Permissions (the scheme will be displayed as a link). Please note, I am using version Jira v8.13.3

Delete-me.JPG

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ricky Notaro-Garcia August 30, 2019
Change Parent LinkPortfolio for Jira must be licensed for the Parent Link to be available.

Choose a parent to assign this issue to.

Why do I need Portfolio to change the parent???

1 vote
Answer accepted
Frank Varnell March 4, 2013

I want to do this as well. I created tasks first and want to assign to a parent. However I dont see "convert to sub-task" under more actions. Is that configurable or something?

0 votes
Michael Pollack June 29, 2021

Still have to do the 2 step process to move a task to another story

If step 2 in not needed why is it displayed in the first place?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events