Create Issue Screen

Deleted user January 20, 2013

Probably a stupid questions but im having real trouble understanding how i configure the inital "create issue" screen for a project.

I have created a cusomtized, workflow, issue type, field config, screen config.

and im able to customize every other screen in the workflow open -> reopened etc but for some reason all efforts on editing the create issue screen, it doesnt seem to change.

Can anyone help me? Im probably being stupid but i have been click around for the best part of 2 hours now.

2 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2013

Ok, you've got the right idea, but it is complex.

Go to the project header. Look for "screen schemes" and drill down from there.

Or, from the ground up:

1. Create a "screen" with the fields you need on it (call it my-create-screen)
  2. Create a "screen scheme" that says "use my-create-screen for the create process" (call it my-screen-scheme).
  3. Create an "issue type screen scheme" that says "use my-screen-scheme for issue type X", where it might be easiest to use it as the default for all issue types.
  4. Associate that issue-type-screen-scheme with the project

Now, the ground-up will work as a foundation, but you are still relying on the field configuration and field contexts to work. Get this bit working first though and we'll come back to the rest. The quick and dirty way to make this clear is to create a new field with a blindingly obvious test name, make sure it's global, don't even look at it in field configs, and add it to ONLY your new screen. You'll know your screen-scheme hacking is working if it appears on "create".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2013

Ok, you jumped ahead of me, which is good. As the "from scratch" didn't work, the next thing was to check the field configuration, and finally the field context. You got through those two without me.

It's not a bug, that's the way it works. You shouldn't need to re-index though!

As i writing the above i hada brain wave so checked the custom field configuration and i added the custom field to the project and reindexed jira and BOOM the fields appear on the screen, seems odd that you can happily create screens and workflows with every field created in jira but if its set to a specific project rather than global then it wont appear.

Looks like a bug to me, it should throw a error or message if it notices a field is trying to be added to a project screen and the field isnt global and therefore will not show on the screen.

Thanks for your help.

Hi i have done all the above but i must have done it incorrectly as its still having no effect on the "create issue screen"

I have a screen and a screen scheme and a issue type screen scheme that is associated with the project in question but the create issue is missing two fields that i am seeing in the screen configuration.

These are custom fields and i have ensured they are not hidden in the field configuration.

Its startiing to get very frustrating as from the look of it i have done everything correctly, but i obvisouly havnt and its not obvious what is wrong.

Like Rob Tyler likes this
Will McCall January 11, 2019

Is it possible to remove the issue type field from the create screen? I only have one issue type in the project so it just adds noise. I've removed it from the create screen the project is using but it doesn't update. 

Mick van Breukelen November 4, 2020

@Will McCall did you solve the issue?

I see (per user?) you can change it in the "create issue screen" itself. In the header you can "configure fields" & hide the fields you do not want to see.

I would prefer to create a screen myself, which users always have to use. But I don't know how to do that either, so if you have found this solution...

Like Ye Fung Tchen likes this
Ye Fung Tchen November 11, 2020

@Mick van Breukelen I'm also interested in how to change this "create issue screen". 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2020
Mary Omond February 17, 2021

I have discovered the following:

Settings > Issues > Screens > Configure, for the selected screen > displays fields you have made available to the screen.

The presence of fields in the Field Tab affects whether they are available on the Create Screen

The order of fields in the Field Tab affects the order of fields on the Create screen

And presumably, though I haven't tested, where the particular screen is associated with the particular action (Create, Update, unspecified actions...)

0 votes
james_holthaus June 9, 2021

This might be just the cloud version of this, If you going into:
Project Settings->Screens you will see the schemes for all of your issue types. 

If you click on the carrot (>) to the right of the Scheme name you will see which screen is setup for which operation (create issue, edit issue, view issue)

For create view it uses the layout from the screen definition and doesn't look at the projects issue layout.  If you edit the Scheme from this screen, there is an "Associate an issue operation with a screen" in the upper right hand corner that lets you change what screen comes up for the different operations.

Hope this was useful

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events