Automation error msg: The selected default user is not able to run automation rules

Stefan Koschel June 11, 2018

After I setup a german servicedesk I started to setup a copy of this servicedesk as english version. Workflow, automation and SLA´s were copied to the new project.

Unfortunately in the automation section I receive the error msg.: The selected default user is not able to run automation rules.

If I try to select another user, there are no matches found ( not even myself)

Instead I receive the msg:  The selected user has been deleted.

I set up the same set of users as in the prior project.  I have the rights as Jira Administrator in both projects and I´m signed in.

How can this system tell me that I am deleted when I´m successfully logged in?

Didn´t find anything about this specific issue in the community.

Even if I try to setup new rules I receive the same error.

Can anybody help here? This issue is a blocker to me!

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mdeguzman July 27, 2020

I have the same issue.  However, even if I selected a User, the automation does not work.  Btw, my automation involves a webhook to Opsgenie.  For some reason, when the automation is triggered, nothing is submitted.  I"m guessing the authentication for the webhook is invalid since I only copied the settings of the project.

The workaround is to delete the automation and create it again with the same conditions.

Erik Brown October 5, 2021

This is not the best answer.  See Leandro's answer below with all the votes, as that is a better and less drastic solution.

Like # people like this
23 votes
Leandro Alves November 1, 2019

It's just an interface bug. If you click on the dropdown to select a user, none will be displayed (in my case the error was caused because we removed the associated user from Jira). If you put the cursor on the beginning of the user name and start typing your user name, it will display a list of matching users to select. This solved the problem to me.

Guy McAuliffe December 20, 2019

Thank you, Leandro! This fixed my problem :)

Like # people like this
Felicia_Amanfo_Kissi March 13, 2020

This solved my issue, Thank you

Luke Shipley May 19, 2020

Thank you. This worked for me too!

JAVA July 1, 2020

Thanks. The issue continues but I find myself with your trick!

CAO Ngoc Tan February 15, 2021

Many thanks. It fixed my case.

chris.m September 30, 2021

Yes. Thank YOU for providing the solution. This has now been resolved for us.

Hezamudin Md. Amin November 8, 2021

Thank you!!! This resolved the issue

Nalaka Wimalaratne March 10, 2022

worked! Thank you.

Simon Karlskov June 28, 2023

Just fixed the issue for me as well.

AMABOWILLI August 17, 2023

This is a better answer that needs to be moved to the top. Thank you @Leandro Alves 

1 vote
Romina Campos October 11, 2018

I'm facing the exact same issue, were you able to find a workaround or what the problem was?

Click on the first position of the name that it is showing, and begin typing the name you want... it will then provide names from Jira that match what you began typing. This worked for our organization. Hope it help you as well.

0 votes
Charles McCabe January 3, 2019

Anyone get an answer to this? In my case, the user was an actual human user who left the company.  When I deactivated their account, I started seeing this message.  So I created a non-human user for this purpose and can't select them from the list.

EDIT:  Sorry, didn't mean to make this an answer.

Thanks,

Chaz

Charles McCabe January 3, 2019

I was able to see my user in the list and select it after typing the entire name, "jirarules".  I had been typing "jira" and getting a long list of other users, including "tfs4jira", so I assumed it was filtering as expected, but apparently not.  My own user appears when I type just "cha", though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks,

Chaz

0 votes
Charles Spencer November 10, 2018

I'm getting the exact same issue, and unfortunately, I can't even figure out how to report a bug to Atlassian other than coming here and asking for a solution.

Charles, Did you see the answer provided previously?  This worked for me, hope it works for you.

0 votes
MoroSystems Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2018

Hi Stefan,

The "The selected user has been deleted" message. is really weird, but in automation section it says:

Unless otherwise specified, the rules for this service desk run as the following user. This user should:

• Be able to view issues in this service desk
  • Have the permission to perform the actions the rule carries out

This is usually the user who has the Jira Service Desk Agent.

Best Regards

MoroSystems Support

Suggest an answer