Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we use existing custom fields (from Jira Software) in Jira Product Discovery?

brent.johnson June 21, 2022

We have a custom field in our Jira Software projects (Squad) which we use for a few different things.

I've also created a custom field in Jira Product Discovery called Squad but ideally, these should be the same. This causes some issues when we do automations (it shows two Squad fields).

If I look in the Custom fields section of Jira admin, it only shows the Jira Software Squad, not the Jira Product Discovery Squad.

I think this might be a next-gen vs. classic project issue... but not 100% sure.

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 21, 2022

Hi @brent_johnson , Jira Product Discovery is built as a "team-managed" project in Jira (vs "company managed"). The main benefit of team-managed projects is you don't need to be a Jira administrator to create and manage fields. The drawback is it is currently not possible to share fields between team-managed projects. We've seen teams using Automation to keep field values in sync between shared fields and fields in a Jira Product Discovery project. It's definitely not ideal but that's the only way I can see it working today. We are working with the Jira platform team on this as it is a popular request.

brent.johnson June 22, 2022

Thanks for the update :) 

Paolo Pastorino March 19, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson I am resurfacing this thread as I am struggling with automation and custom fields.

Is there any plan to have JPD as company-managed project?

You mentioned an automation to keep custom fields in synch between company and team managed projects, do you have an example or a link?

Thanks

Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2023

@Paolo Pastorino there were a few threads on this automation in the community. Try to search for them and you should find a few examples of how this can be done (there is a workaround needed to be able to distinguish between the company managed fields and the team managed fields.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2023
Like Paolo Pastorino likes this
Indrek Petti February 4, 2024

I think that this excuse is not a relevant one any more. Team managed project can use now company managed custom fields in their projects so it would be very helpful to enable this for Product discovery projects as well. Many values used later on actual development tasks are based on initial ones made on a planning phase in product discovery project (for tracking and communicating purposes) and to sync those as different fields with automation is a mess which gets even worse if they are drop-down field type as then we also have to manually manage those pre-defined values on both fields to remain always the same. 

1 vote
Abby Kiesling May 9, 2023

+1 here too.  I cannot get any automation to function properly between discovery and software projects because of required custom fields in the software project.  I've tried everything I can think of to build out the automation but the common problem is that I have YET to find a way to successfully tell Jira that a field in discovery is the same as a field in my software project and should be copied over when creating a ticket. 

Mark Taylor October 10, 2023

Hey Abby, also facing this problem - did you have any luck? 

We are trying to move Feature Requests from Jira Service Management to an Idea in Discovery - yet I can't transfer over critical custom fields.. Automation keeps failing!! 

Like Abby Kiesling likes this
Abby Kiesling October 12, 2023

Hi @Mark Taylor !  Actually yes, I was able to get this figured out for the most part.  It involved a lot of trial and error.  Mostly I used {{triggerIssue.Field Name}}. Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 4.39.34 PM.png

What specifically are you trying to do?  You could try getting the Custom Field ID too.  To get your field IDs, fix this URL with your company details and a ticket number and you can get a list:

https://[your url here].atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/[your ticket number here]?expand=names

Then you can use {{triggerIssue.customfield_00000}} I believe. 

Mark Taylor October 17, 2023

Thanks @Abby Kiesling  - I tried your custom field way.. i'm just trying to copy across custom field data into the new Idea ticket.. 

E.g. we capture from a multi-select drop down, what the Platform is... i've created this field in Jira Discovery and want to set it as per the issue.. but i've tried lots and it isn't working on the automation. 

Oddly, i'm able to set a label in the automation - so feeling like it's just custom fields.. 

I'm using SET and then {{triggerIssue.Field Name}} and {{triggerIssue.Customfield}}.

Not sure what else i can try?? 

Abby Kiesling October 18, 2023

Hi @Mark Taylor ,

Where are you capturing that field information?  From another idea or from an external location?

Do you have screenshots?

1 vote
Seth Mason June 21, 2022

+1.  This is a problem for us.  Our field is "Component". The engineers use Company managed JIRA projects that have a common Component field, and then we, using JPD, have to manually maintain this same field.

Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2022

+1. We are also using Company managed projects in Jira and have a few custom fields that we would like to have also in JPD (Dev team, Program Increment, ...) and automation is usually quite difficult for maintaining sync.

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
0 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2024

Hello everyone! 

We are introducing the global field feature for Jira Product Discovery projects - you can see the feature in action and sign up to the EAP here! 

Cheers, 
Hermance
Product Manager @ Jira Product Discovery

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events