Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Can we use existing custom fields (from Jira Software) in Jira Product Discovery?

Edited

We have a custom field in our Jira Software projects (Squad) which we use for a few different things.

I've also created a custom field in Jira Product Discovery called Squad but ideally, these should be the same. This causes some issues when we do automations (it shows two Squad fields).

If I look in the Custom fields section of Jira admin, it only shows the Jira Software Squad, not the Jira Product Discovery Squad.

I think this might be a next-gen vs. classic project issue... but not 100% sure.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @brent_johnson , Jira Product Discovery is built as a "team-managed" project in Jira (vs "company managed"). The main benefit of team-managed projects is you don't need to be a Jira administrator to create and manage fields. The drawback is it is currently not possible to share fields between team-managed projects. We've seen teams using Automation to keep field values in sync between shared fields and fields in a Jira Product Discovery project. It's definitely not ideal but that's the only way I can see it working today. We are working with the Jira platform team on this as it is a popular request.

Thanks for the update :) 

+1.  This is a problem for us.  Our field is "Component". The engineers use Company managed JIRA projects that have a common Component field, and then we, using JPD, have to manually maintain this same field.

+1. We are also using Company managed projects in Jira and have a few custom fields that we would like to have also in JPD (Dev team, Program Increment, ...) and automation is usually quite difficult for maintaining sync.

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you