Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

📣 Early Access Program: Global fields 🔥

Update 14/03/24: The sign-up form is closed as we reached 100 participants 🚀

Hello community! 

We are currently working on an improvement that should ease your use of Jira Product Discovery at scale: Global fields for Jira Product Discovery! 

When we are ready, we will open this feature to 100 beta testers, but no worries if you're not part of the lucky ones, this feature will be open to all customers later. 

What are Global fields? 

Global fields are custom fields that can be reused across multiple projects, and eventually multiple products. 

With this feature, you will be able to create fields that are managed centrally: all field properties are the same across all projects and get updated from a single place.

Limitations

At the moment, only a subset of field types are supported

• People, custom formulas & vote fields are not supported as global custom fields

• Supported Jira fields in Jira Product Discovery projects are label, text, URL, select, multi-select and number.

How to apply for Early Access? 

Here are a few additional information to know before applying: 

• This feature will not drastically change, but it is possible you encounter bugs 
  • We will contact you via e-mail to collect feedback
  • This is an early access wait list, so the feature won't be enabled instantly and it's possible you won't get access this time around.
  • We will contact you via email to let you know if we turn it on for you, and announce in the community when the feature is ready for all. 

16 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

YY哥
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2024

Hi Hermance,

Thanks for this update post. I have a question to discuss with Atlassian product managers:

For 4 Jira family products, JSW, JSM, JWM & JPD,

the underlying field design of JPD is different from the other 3 products, whose company-managed projects share the same system and custom fields (global fields). From the long term consideration, will the fields of all Jira family products share the same field model? 

BTW, I've found the workflow is different too. For example, JPD has no resolution field setting when transitioning the workflow to Done-category statuses. I mean JPD doesn't follow the basic workflow design rule from some details. The impact is that we can't search JPD issues with the resolution date field and cann't use JQL like "resolution = unresolved" (no common user experience).

Thanks,

YY哥

Like # people like this
Michal Vit February 21, 2024

This is a great update and will definitely help with wider adoption in our org.

I have a quick question about the transition though - is there any way to easily change a field currently defined in JPD project and use it as a global field?

Or do we need to create a new field and values will need to be manually copied over in the project where it was already available?

Like # people like this
Troy Moore February 21, 2024

Signed up for the EAP. Excited to be able to use this functionality! Great video @Hermance NDounga

Glad to hear that automations will be enabled for JPD -> Jira Software. Hoping that the automation will also work for functions originating in JSM and automating values into JPD when applicable.

Like Selena Cummock likes this
Tere Pile February 21, 2024

Yes please! 

Ákos Botos February 22, 2024

Hi @Hermance NDounga

Sent the form. 🙃

I only have my personal playground site with JPD ATM. Still, it is a great addition.

BTW do you have any idea why Atlas custom fields were not implemented this way?

☀️ Have a nice day!

Cheers,

Akos

Garrett Olsen February 22, 2024

Super exciting. So if I'm understanding correctly, in this initial version you'll only be able to share fields between JPD projects, but not with Jira Software, for example, right? But that eventually you'll be able to share with Jira Software too?

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2024

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for the great feedback, let me address some of those: 

This feature lets you share fields between Jira Product Discovery projects but also let you reuse fields from other Jira products (JSW, JSM and JWM) in JPD projects and even apply formatting (colors, emoji) to these Jira fields. 

However, only a few fields types of other Jiras are supported (text, select, multi-select, labels, URL and number).

This is why we came with a new interface, both to provide you a filtered list of supported Jira fields (that you can find under the tab "Jira", in my demo) and let you add formatting to these fields. In the future, we hope that more fields are supported, and that other Jira support formatting, and at that moment, having just one experience will be more suitable. 

For the moment, you'll not be able to change a project field into a global field, and it is not planned in the roadmap. However, we are working on some workarounds using automation that should let you easily "migrate values" from one to another. I'll update users of the EAP in this regard. 

Finally, re: Atlas fields, we thought exactly the same thing and are currently working on changing their implementation to match this model 😉

Cheers! 

Hermance

Like # people like this
Tiffany Murphree
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 29, 2024

I sent the form, how long does it take to find out if we have access to Global fields? Excited to start using it now.

Like Tere Pile likes this
Matt Jones March 6, 2024

Have completed the sign-up form. This will really help as we've just had to implement multiple projects in JPD with multi-selects for Products from a Product Catalogue amongst other things. 

One question that wasn't covered in the video. What happens if a Project Admin tries to edit the global field?

Like Hermance NDounga likes this
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2024

Hey everyone, we are glad to see so many participants already ! 

If you've signed up, we will send to you an email few days before enabling the feature, to share the demo video, the Automation workaround to easily copy values from project scoped to global fields) (yes, I managed to make it work for some field types) 🤩

@Tiffany Murphree we aim to realease this feature for the beta testers within April.

@Matt Jones A project admin cannot edit a global field if they aren't a Jira admin too. So there are several hints in the interface that let this project admin understand why they cannot edit this, and who to reach out to. 

Like # people like this
Yasir Khalid
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 6, 2024

Great idea, and very timely too for what I am working on now!! :D

Is there a prospective start date for the EAP?

Selena Cummock March 8, 2024

Excited! :) 

Nate Whitehead March 10, 2024

Hoping I didn't miss the boat to join this EAP - sounds great!

Like Hermance NDounga likes this
J P March 11, 2024

YES! Wahoo!!!

Melinda_Kovalev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 13, 2024

Hi @Hermance NDounga -- The link to sign up is not rendering.  Is the EAP waiting list full?  Thanks~

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
March 14, 2024

Hi everyone, 

We are now closing this EAP as we have 100 beta testers! Thanks everyone for signing up - we will contact you within a couple of weeks to let you know when we will enable the feature

Cheers, 

Hermance

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events