According to this document, when you split an issue it doesn't copy custom fields.
But I have a required custom field (platform) that I want to make sure it copied. Otherwise every issue in the system has a platform value except issues created with a split. No bueno!
I'm not sure exactly how an issue split works but, presumably, it has to create a new issue so it has to go through the create issue transition? Is there some way I could add something to that?
I'm in Cloud using (obviously) jira software in an agile board (in this case Scrum).
Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!
When splitting an issue, it's not possible to copy custom fields on Jira Server or Cloud.
There is a feature request suggesting the implementation of this ability:
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates about the feature.
The documentation you mentioned is related to Server and the Cloud documentation has more details about what happens when an issue is split:
- The new issue will be of the same issue type as the original issue. For example, if you split a story into two or more issues, the new issues will also be stories.
- The new issue will have most of the same details stored in the original issue, including priority, component, label, etc.
- The issue details that won't be copied over include work log, comments, issue history, issue links, etc — though the original issue will be linked to the new issue.
- The new issue will have the summary that you entered upon splitting the issue.
- If the original issue has estimates, you'll be able to enter estimates for the new issues as well. You can also update the estimate of the original issue as necessary.
- The issue status also returns to the first step of the corresponding workflow, and the resolutions are cleared.
Jira is a great tool to use across different departments. Forget that paperwork – switch to Jira and get that tasks done smoothly. Marketing Jira allows for a complete digital transformation of you...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events