story points

James Rader May 10, 2016

When using task as a subset of stories should you estimate the task and add the cumulative to the story points field of the Story itself or conversely leave the story points blank on the story and track the individual tasks granularity? Currently i have some sprint teams assigning points to both skewing velocity and metrics. Looking for the best practice in JIRA to get clean data.

1 answer

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2016

I think your first issue is that you are using a task as a subset of stories.  You should use Epic.  Story points should be at the story level, then the story points will automatically roll up to the Epic level.  Tasks are granualar tasks for dev teams for example, and story points do not apply.

James Rader May 12, 2016

that was a point that i had mentioned as well. We are using the task to break down the actual action items that contribute to the definition of done for the parent story. it also allows us to assign these tasks to individual development resources.Again the problem is that the story points on the task will not "roll up" into parent story. so it creates a an inaccurate velocity as the story should reflect the total story points of its constituent tasks,

Suggest an answer