oauth token in rest-api-request with oauth

Simon Franz August 25, 2016

After a successfull login via oauth  I'm receiving a bunch of data.

"oauth_token" => "07HQgsnnXaaaaaaaaaaki0GA9wGj2ThO"
"oauth_token_secret" => "2853FBbR5WbbbbbbbbbbIdQIMp5kmXVw"
"oauth_expires_in" => "157680000"
"oauth_session_handle" => "2a2ccccccccccKRiQmrl7EsPQd7f0QD7"
"oauth_authorization_expires_in" => "160272000"

I would like to make api-calls to the rest api. In the Authentication-chapter of the documentation (https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#auth/1/session-currentUser) it's listet that the oauth authentication is the prefered method. 

In the LInked examples it's clear thet username:password authentication is way easier (https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-apis/jira-rest-apis/jira-rest-api-tutorials). In fact in the whole documentation there are all examples with the easier username:password authentication( fred:fred). In my case I'm wondering how the token after a oauth-authentication is transfered in a request to the rest-api. 

Do I have to add it to the header? With which name? Or do i have to append it to every url? 

The only "valid" help is this line, but herer you cannot see how the access token is included into the request

java -jar rest-oauth-client-1.0.one-jar.jar request ACCESS_TOKEN JIRA_REST_URL

Has anyone solved this already? Where do I have to put the oauth_token?

Best Regards

4 answers

2 votes
pradeep raju October 25, 2016

We have the same exact issue,, I have been looking for the answer everywhere, Did u find solution, If so please share.

we are using Atlassian cloud

0 votes
peterb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2017

@Simon Franz @pradeep raju Sorry, I must clarify my answer. I was thinking of Atlassian Connect, the primary way of extending Cloud products. Connect does not support OAuth 1.

JIRA Cloud itself does, however. This page has a guide that includes where to put the token: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/jira-rest-api-oauth-authentication/

peterb
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2017

I highly encourage you to use Connect if possible, when calling JIRA Cloud APIs. It gives you an installation lifecycle, the option of UI extensions, and doesn't consume a user license.

0 votes
peterb
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2016

@pradeep raju the example fields in the question are for OAuth 1, which is not a supported authentication mechanism in Cloud.

To make REST API calls in Cloud you use Atlassian Connect, which enables and secures add-ons.

The documentation on Atlassian Connect authentication is here.

0 votes
peterb
Atlassian Team
August 28, 2016

Hi @Simon Franz. Are you using P2 or Atlassian Connect?

Suggest an answer