last re-index time of jira

Hello,

Is there a way to determine when last time JIRA (currently on 6.4) was re-indexed?

Thanks

S

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

Not in the UI that I can think of directly. 

But the log will have "indexing" lines in it, and I think the admin audit logging will catch it as well, as long as it is enabled.

I'm not entirely sure how much use it might be though - the index is also updated whenever an issue is touched, so technically, the system was partially re-indexed the last time you used it!  I'm guessing you mean one of the full re-indexes though (or project re-index?)

Thanks Nic,

I was referring to admin full-index. Will look into audit logs.

S

Hi @shailesh ligade2 Did you find it on the logs?

@Daniel Alonso though you posted this a while ago I figured I'd share the below

Current Workaround

• Proceed to JIRA HOME > Cache > Indexes
  • Check when last this folder was modified.

This is from:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-44163

Thank you @john morrissey very useful :)

@Daniel Alonso though I'm not sure I trust that as my JIRA HOME > Cache > Indexes folder has a time stamp of the installation date though indexes inside have newer dates.  I'm still piecing it together so will update here with what I find

I had to look at $JIRA_HOME/caches/indexes/issues to obtain the latest re-index start.

I forgot I posted here.  Seems the offline reindex builds and cleans up the older index files but the online doesn't as they're in use so it's good to do the offline once and a while as it will clean up disk space also (at least did for us)

I think re-index events are not included in Audit Log (System --> Audit Log), or at least I don't see them and Atlassian documentation don't mention it (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/auditing-in-jira-applications-938847740.html).

It would be great that this info was included there: re-index type (project or global background/blocking), start and finish.

Meanwhile, I prefer to take a look into log files. It's clear and easy to know when re-index started and finished.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Asked Thursday in Jira Ops

I'm John Allspaw, Ask Me Anything about incident analysis and postmortems

I'm John Allspaw, co-founder of   Adaptive Capacity Labs, where we help teams use their incidents to learn and improve. We bring research-driven methods and approaches to drive effective inciden...

4,230 views 18 12
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you