last re-index time of jira

shailesh ligade March 1, 2016

Hello,

Is there a way to determine when last time JIRA (currently on 6.4) was re-indexed?

Thanks

S

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2016

Not in the UI that I can think of directly. 

But the log will have "indexing" lines in it, and I think the admin audit logging will catch it as well, as long as it is enabled.

I'm not entirely sure how much use it might be though - the index is also updated whenever an issue is touched, so technically, the system was partially re-indexed the last time you used it!  I'm guessing you mean one of the full re-indexes though (or project re-index?)

shailesh ligade March 1, 2016

Thanks Nic,

I was referring to admin full-index. Will look into audit logs.

S

Daniel Alonso March 11, 2018

Hi @shailesh ligade2 Did you find it on the logs?

john morrissey September 20, 2018

@Daniel Alonso though you posted this a while ago I figured I'd share the below

Current Workaround

• Proceed to JIRA HOME > Cache > Indexes
  • Check when last this folder was modified.

This is from:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-44163

Daniel Alonso September 20, 2018

Thank you @john morrissey very useful :)

john morrissey September 20, 2018

@Daniel Alonso though I'm not sure I trust that as my JIRA HOME > Cache > Indexes folder has a time stamp of the installation date though indexes inside have newer dates.  I'm still piecing it together so will update here with what I find

Duane Mattos October 23, 2018

I had to look at $JIRA_HOME/caches/indexes/issues to obtain the latest re-index start.

john morrissey October 23, 2018

I forgot I posted here.  Seems the offline reindex builds and cleans up the older index files but the online doesn't as they're in use so it's good to do the offline once and a while as it will clean up disk space also (at least did for us)

Leirbag Assuab October 24, 2018

I think re-index events are not included in Audit Log (System --> Audit Log), or at least I don't see them and Atlassian documentation don't mention it (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/auditing-in-jira-applications-938847740.html).

It would be great that this info was included there: re-index type (project or global background/blocking), start and finish.

Meanwhile, I prefer to take a look into log files. It's clear and easy to know when re-index started and finished.

Like Stan the man likes this
Brian Spence
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2019

It appears to me that the Issues folder is timestamped with the current date, however, the minimum date of the files within the folder does seem to be the date of the last index.  I specifically validated against a background re-index.

It's unclear if the timestamps can be used to definitely identify start/end times of the re-index, but the date appears correct.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events