jira email notification on only some status changes

Trudy Claspill October 22, 2015

In our JIRA project our workflow is wide open; an issue can transition from any status to any other status. We prefer to not lock this down with transition rules at this time.

We want to notify the Reporter of the issue when it moves to only a few of these statuses.

We were initially set up with a default notification scheme that included the default JIRA events for Issue Closed and Issue Reopened.

I cleared the notifications to Reporter on all other events except these two. After that, the Reporter received zero notifications, not even for the two status changes.

I found additional articles that talked about the Generic Event notification. When I added Reporter to that event, then Reporter got notifications for all the status transitions.

I've read about creating custom notification events, and the Post Functions configuration for transitions. This seems to be telling me I have to have defined transition rules between the statuses in order to include custom notifications in the Post Functions. We don't want to restrict transitions between statuses.

Is the only solution available to me to add transition rules to represent all possible transitions between statuses, just so I can trigger notifications on a change to 2 out of 7 statues?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2015

You first want to look at the post actions for your "Close" and "Reopen" transitions and make sure they are emitting those specific events, and not the Generic event.  If you built the transitions yourself, the default is the Generic event.

Trudy Claspill October 23, 2015

Thank you, but that does not address the question I asked. There are NO transition rules in our workflow, so yes the Generic event is what would be used at this point. To reiterate my question: Is the only solution available to me to add transition rules to represent all possible transitions between statuses, just so I can trigger notifications on a change to 2 out of 7 statues? It appears that custom events for notifications have to be set up in transition Post Functions, and transitions require definition of the From and To statuses. It appears that we can't set up an notifications event based on just the To statuses. Have I misunderstood? Thanks!!

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2015

I guess I don't understand; I assumed that "wide open" meant that there was a transition between every status to every other status such that your status nodes form a fully connected graph. As a best practice, you'd re-use each transition To a status such that you use the same transition From every other status. In that case, the single transition that represents all entries To "Closed" needs to emit a "Close Issue" event. However, as I look at it, now I assume you used the "allow all statuses to transition to this status" checkbox for "Closed", at which point it should have created a single "All-to-Closed" transition. That transition is the one you would want to change from emitting a "Generic Event" in its post-functions to emitting an "Issue Closed" event.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2015

Note that it appears you can only see/select the "All-to-Closed" transition in the diagram view.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events