how to use link ticket function

Silva Kalpa April 17, 2018

I'm trying to connect 2 systems, using link issue option.

and in XX instance is having AA and BB projects. and I'm truing to link CC project in YY .
All i need is to allow user to link only AA tickets with CC proejct. Could I able to configure this function?
And when we create a ticket on CC is it possible to configure option in that create a ticket on AA project ?

1 answer

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2018

Hi @Silva Kalpa, yes, you can link issues between two different Jira applications.  Setup linking by adding the other application as an "Application Link" at: Admin > Applications > Application links or your-jira-url.com/plugins/servlet/applinks/listApplicationLinks.

In the screenshot example, I'm linking a local test instance of Jira Server to a Jira Cloud instance.

linking-applications.jpg

The ability to link issues is tied to the project.  If a user can link to issues in project CC, than linking is enabled for all projects, regardless of the Jira instance.  There's no way to prevent users in project QQ from linking to CC.  Hope that makes sense.

Finally, after you setup the Application Link, the linking is reciprocal; a link from one application can also show up in the other application.  You should also be able to link from either application.

For your final question, you can't auto create in another application out of the box.  There might be a plugin that can do it however.  Try looking around at: marketplace.atlassian.com. 

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright
Author, Jira Strategy Admin Workbook

Suggest an answer