how to convert subtask to story

lipi September 5, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA User's Guide

how to convert subtask to story?

9 answers

8 votes
Damien (darwyn) September 5, 2016

hi, 

simply move your issue to the same project but choose the story issue type. 

moving your issue can be done thanks to the 3 dots on the top right corner of your issue view and choose "Move". 

cheers,

damien.

Bill_P January 25, 2019

Tried Move - get a message:
"There are no other sub-task issue types associated with this project."

image.png

Bill_P February 7, 2019

Turns out you have to switch to the Old View to see the option to "Convert to Issue".

image.png

image.png

Like # people like this
laurence February 8, 2019

Thank you so much Bill! Saved my life! Is this new or we've just been blind? I guess I was always going to MOVE so maybe i missed it. Makes a world of a difference, thanks!

Like Phillip Terry likes this
Katja Angerstein February 14, 2019

But soon everybody will be on the New View, how can we convert subtasks to issues after that?

Like # people like this
Janek Bogucki March 29, 2019

Kindly fix this so the 2019 view can be used to achieve this. This is not a minor oversight by any generous measure!

Like # people like this
tobias.fielitz May 16, 2019

3rd thread here I had to look at to get this working. Thx

Mouli September 17, 2019

Its added to the new issue layout now..

Convert2Issue.PNG

Like R_ Schreurs likes this
mahdielmasaoudi October 15, 2019

Thanks . Didn't know the existance of such option!

3 votes
naveen arroju April 5, 2017

Hi matilda majed,

Sub-task issue -->view issue screen see more  options ---> select convert to issue.

1 vote
mmartinezgb May 7, 2020

If you click the icon next to the ticket number you will find a dropdown menu where you can select the correct type.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.07.48 PM.png

1 vote
Ivan Dretvic October 28, 2019

productivity is reduced by constant design framework changes, and then not implementing features in the new design. This keeps happening with Atlassian. 

0 votes
Andreas Lianos March 10, 2020

If you go to "all issues" view, and you filter what you want to change, there is an option now on the top right "..." menu that says "bulk change" (which of course you can use for a single issue as well).

0 votes
Emiliano Vergara December 9, 2019

Just pres dot "." and type "issue", in new version you can convert it right away!

0 votes
Dare John Adesanya January 8, 2019

This is sort pain in the ASS.

Why not have Project - Project Version - Epic - Story - Task - Sub-task. I suppose this is the SCRUM structure. Atlassian made it this way in the previous version, but the new version seems to stupid. Who's the their new business analyst? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

Scrum is Epic -> Story -> (sub)task.  Jira is unlikely to change away from that, as that structure has been fundamental almost since it was first written.

Cedar Software Development Company January 25, 2019

So you're saying Story represents Task sort of? But it would be great if there is Task for Story and Sub-task for Task. With this structure more details can be captured.

Thanks anyway.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2019

No, a task is an issue type that you could have at the same level as a story or below as a sub-task level.  Or not at all if you choose not to have tasks.

Any issue at the story level can have sub-tasks of any type you define.

Dare John Adesanya February 7, 2019

Thanks for your explanation Nic

0 votes
Matilda Majed February 27, 2017

I cannot find "convert sub-task to issue" only change parent..

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2017

Do you have "create issue" rights in that project?

If you do, and you still don't have the option to convert sub-tasks to issues, then you'll need to ask your administrators to revert whatever it is they have done to remove it.

genemerrill April 13, 2018

Or maybe need to use "Move Issue" instead of "Edit Issue" in bulk change wizard?

Joshua McManus October 18, 2018

There's a problem with the new Issue View that Atlassian released a little while back. You just have to switch back to the classic issue-view and you should see it in the "More Actions" menu.

Like # people like this
Chaim Eliyah October 19, 2018

Thanks to @Joshua McManus for that answer; that's the solution. Bulk edit didn't work. Checking permissions didn't work. They literally broke "Change Issue Type" in the new JIRA.

But we're used to things being broken with JIRA, so it's okay, right?

Like # people like this
laurence February 7, 2019

This new view is an absolute disaster, why take a good product and mangle it beyond recognition! It has so many issues, I am dreading the time when they'll remove the old view! 

Like Katja Angerstein likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2016

There will be a "convert sub-task to issue" option in the tools menu on the issue view (along with log work, attach, etc)

Suggest an answer