how do I identify issues added to a sprint after it has started

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Sam Hall Community Champion Feb 01, 2017
There are a couple of built in reports which show this info:
  • They show with a * ("Issue added to sprint after start time") next to them in the Sprint Report.
  • The Burndown Chart records this as a scope change with 'Issue added to sprint' in event detail.

Hi, thanks for that Sam. Is there any JQL I can run to show a table of these items, I'm building a Sprint Summary report which I want to show the effect of my over enthusiastic product owner smile

Sam Hall Community Champion Feb 02, 2017

There's no JQL that can get it out of the box in JIRA Cloud, I'm afraid.

JQL does support some historical search operators (WAS, CHANGED AFTER, etc), but these only work on certain fields. Unfortunately the Sprint field doesn't support these type of history searches.

Of course you can search for JIRA Cloud add-ons which expand search capabilities in various ways, but I'm not sure if you'll find something suitable.

Another option, although not exactly what you want, is the Sprint Health Gadget which shows sprint scope change %.

The Sprint Report has a link next to each kind of completions that retrieves the JQL needed.

You will see that it is not a pretty function, but a csv of issue keys like:

key in (KEY-1,KEY-2,KEY-3)

sprint-report-view-in-issue-navigator.jpg

Sam Hall Community Champion Feb 02, 2017

But don't those "View in Issue Navigator" links get all completed/not completed issues, not just those added after sprint start?

The "Issues Not Completed" list could be a mixture of issues added before sprint start and issues added after sprint start, as could the "Completed Issues", right?

Yes, you're absolutely right. Then, the only way would be copying the issue keys in a JQL like: key in (KEY-1,..., KEY-n)

Hi guys,

The only way I found to identify the issues that were included in the sprint after the initial date was coordinating with my team to tag them as a "detractor" issue. How?

We created a dedicated "Component" named "Unplanned" and then, we made JQL filter to extract them after we close the sprint. Everyone committed to include this component in each unplanned issue during sprint period.  The JQL is like this:

project = "My project" AND component in ("Unplanned") AND Sprint in closedSprints() AND resolved > -17d ORDER BY component ASC

Hope I could helped!

This widget could not be displayed.

I find this totally lack of functionality frustrating with the Jira Cloud application. The data is in the system AND Jira does surface it with the * in the sprint report. The fact that we can't get this data via JQL is BS.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

45 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you